Getting back to the basics

shdybrady

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am returning to my favorite meal tring to perfect it...the burger. I rarely cook for myself. I mainly cook to please other people.

So tell me, what makes the perfect burger?

Thick or thin patty?

what kind of seasoning?

what kind of cheese?

What kind of bun?

1/2 lb or better, rare, bacon blue cheese burger on an onion roll. That would be my reason to justify a heart attack...

Thin Patty 80/20 chuck
Montreal SS
Jalapeno Jack
Poppy seed bun
Buckhorn pickle slices
Big Boy tomato slices
Iceberg lettuce
Heinz ketchup
Frenches yellow mustard
and a roll of paper towels!

80/20 ground chuck, seasoned with a touch of salt, garlic powder, and fine grind black pepper. Cooked medium rare, with a touch of char. Finished patty is about 3/4" thick and fills a soft bun, preferably a potato roll that'll soak up all that juice. Garnish? Diced raw onion. If I go all out, I'll toast the bun...

I'm a purist. Burger is one of the tastiest and most satisfying meats to ever meet fire. No need to hide the flavor with salad and condiments.

Chris

I like all burger , but my favorite is fried in a skellet with a slice of onion maybe just a dab of mayo

Yeah.....I'm with Onehump on this one.....you're gonna get the gammit on this one. It's kind of like asking, "What's your favorite color". No real RIGHT answer.

For ME.....I prefer about a 1/4-1/3 lb patty, about 3/4"-1" thick.
I like either SM season all or Weber Gourmet Burger seasoning mixed into the meat.
CRANKIN heat, direct grilled to medium.
Swiss or provolone cheese.
I usually throw the garden on it......tomato, onion, mayo, mustard (NEVER ketchup), avocado, pickle, jalepenos or banana peppers.
I prefer a plain ole white (or maybe sesame seed) bun.
And.....napkins.:becky:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........................burgers..............:thumb:

THe best hamburger I have ever had was back in 1975 cooked by a lady who managed the kitchen at a local BBQ joint. I have no idea what her secret was but I have been searching for that perfect burger ever since. I went to that BBQ place for the burgers rather than the BBQ many times after that. I looked her up recently and found that she has been very ill and in the hospital. I sent my best wishes. I doubt that I will ever eat a better burger or figure out what she did to make those burgers so great.

Smoked burgers are the hit around my parts I have made them for friends and family and they love em.

I mix my burgers with finely chopped onions, garlic, S&P and a dash of bbq sauce. Grill to med. rare and top with sharp cheddar and bacon. Garnish with mustard, lettuce and slice tomato. Oh yea, it's burger night now!

80/20 chuck, 1/2 to 2/3 pound patty. SAlt and pepper. Direct heat until meduim. Large sesame seed bun. Thin sliced red onion, sliced roma tomatoes, bed of lettuce leaves. Light coating of mayo and catsup on bun. Dill pickle spear on the side.

My preference is what I call a Carolina Style burger based on the burgers I used to get from Melvin's in Elizabethtown, NC as a kid.

6 oz 80/20 beef patty seasoned with salt and pepper only. I use about 1 egg and 1/4 of bread crumbs per 2 lbs of meat.

Toppings: slaw, beanless chili, mustard, and onion - no cheese.

My burgers usually require bacon. Lately I have been doing a BBQ bacon burger.

Precook the bacon and let cool.
I use 85/15 and throw it in a mixing bowl.
I add some garlic salt, a little salt and fresh ground pepper.
Chop the bacon into 1/4" size pieces and add to the bowl.
Mix it all up and make patties.
Cook over 350F to medium rare and baste with your favorite sauce.
Add a slice of Colby Jack, throw it on a bun with a few pickles and enjoy.

all sounds great. I am tring to find the perfect burger. My main thing I run into is that when I cook a lesser then med well burger, the juices make a huge mess. I dont mind. But most people think its gross. Is my heat not high enough?

Just like anything else shdybrady, burgers need to rest a few minutes before you serve, especially if you like them med-rare to med like I do.

My favorite burger? 8 oz. patty, 1" thick, griddle-fried with butter to medium rare, melted american cheese, caramelized onions, a sharp mustard, pickle relish, and roasted red peppers on a kaiser roll.

interesting. so how much butter is in pan when you cook it I have never heard of cooking with butter. Might be the extra kick Im looking for

Back