THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

kcmike

is Blowin Smoke!
MJT_6695.jpg

My buddy bet me I couldn't use any of our rubs with Italian seafood... I think I proved him wrong...

Pictured above are pan-seared wild caught U/10 sea scallops seasoned with one of our BBQ rubs accompanied by a side of capellini pomodoro.

Capellini Pomodoro is basically angel hair pasta tossed in a pan sauce made from extra virgin olive oil, diced Roma tomatoes, shallots, minced garlic and fresh basil. I don't have a whole lot of measurements for this one since I mostly do it by feel. But I suppose I started with about 3 lbs. of tomatoes, a few tablespoons of EVOO, 4 garlic cloves crushed and minced, 3 or 4 shallot bulbs minced, and a big handful of fresh sweet basil leaves chopped fine.

MJT_6676.jpg

Start by sweating the diced shallots and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat. Then add diced tomatoes and a few pinches of salt & pepper. Mix thoroughly and turn the heat down to low. Cover pan with tight fitting lid and allow tomatoes, shallots and garlic to simmer for about 10 minutes or until the tomatoes are thoroughly cooked down, but still retain some of their diced shape. If I had more time, I would have blanched and skinned the tomatoes before dicing them, but it works just fine if you don't. To finish the pan sauce, add finely chopped sweet basil and a couple more tablespoons of EVOO.

MJT_6681.jpg

MJT_6684.jpg

MJT_6688.jpg

While you were doing all of this, you should have been cooking a pound of angel hair pasta in salted water. Drain the pasta well and add to pan with tomato/basil sauce and toss to thoroughly combine.

MJT_6690.jpg

Now, it's time to move on to the scallops. I appologize for not having any pictures of this part of the process. I got carried away with the seasoning and searing and farking forgot to take any pictures...

Pan searing scallops is pretty straightforward and it doesn't take very long. Rinse your scallops briefly in cold water then pat them dry. I put some Oakridge BBQ Game Bird & Chicken rub in a shallow dish and dipped each scallop into it so it covered both of the flat sides and stayed mostly off the other "round" sides. Next, heat about a half stick of butter (not margarine, use real butter) in a 10 inch fry pan over medium high heat until it just begins to brown. Then, set your scallops in the hot butter and sear them on one rubbed side for about 3 minutes. With a pair of tongs, gently flip them over onto the other rubbed flat side and continue to cook them for another 3 minutes. Pull them from the pan, dust with a tiny bit more Game Bird & Chicken rub, and plate them up. And that's it.

MJT_6704.jpg

Oh yeah! Here I go, licking my screen again! :redface: Outstanding! :thumb:

Bella! uno dei miei piatti molto favorito.

Molto ben fatto. Bravo.:clap2:

Grazie per la condivisione.

What he said!

Dang that looks great! My wife is N.J. Italian and I got her hooked on BBQ so I have to try your recipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only is that plate beautiful, but your photography skills are top notch, and many thanks for the recipe. I will definitely be doing this one :thumb:.

Bella! uno dei miei piatti molto favorito.

Molto ben fatto. Bravo.:clap2:

Grazie per la condivisione.

Grazie per i vostri gentili commenti.

Questo è uno dei miei piatti preferiti come molto bene.

Sono molto contento che ti è piaciuta la ricetta. :thumb:

Back