MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
Mr Baloo
Got Wood.

Default Teach me how to do Pork Steaks!!!

OK, I have seen threads on pork steaks... and drooled over the pron.... well, I am heading to my butcher to get them cut as they have butts on sale for 1.49 a pound... the threads do not get too detailed in the recipe because I am sure that it is much more common in other areas of the country. But here in the south, I have honestly never heard of them....

What temps? how long? braise it? or just go lower temps.... thanks for the help... cause they really look good.

Baloo

Old 03-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I cook em just like country style ribs.Lot o folks sear then put in a pan of sauce and beer til tender.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/iowa-pork-steak/

Something like this only use q sauce and beer or whatever kinda sauce you wanna use.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Start out Indirect for 30 min, reverse sear then into a hot tub 1/2 a beer and BBq sauce, braise to tender finish 30 sec a side over the coals.

2 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
tarheelsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludawg View Post
start out indirect for 30 min, reverse sear then into a hot tub 1/2 a beer and bbq sauce, braise to tender finish 30 sec a side over the coals.

+1!!

Old 03-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Mr Baloo
Got Wood.

about how long is the braise???

Old 03-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Baloo View Post
OK, I have seen threads on pork steaks... and drooled over the pron.... well, I am heading to my butcher to get them cut as they have butts on sale for 1.49 a pound... the threads do not get too detailed in the recipe because I am sure that it is much more common in other areas of the country. But here in the south, I have honestly never heard of them....

What temps? how long? braise it? or just go lower temps.... thanks for the help... cause they really look good.

Baloo
If you have not gone to butcher shop yet, see what pork steak is going for and compare price to the butts on sale, if the butts are cheaper ask the butcher if he will cut it into pork steak hopefully for free.
Dave

Old 03-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Baloo View Post
about how long is the braise???
Not quite toothpick tender just a slight resistance may be 40 min you want tender not falling apart.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
allboy
Full Fledged Farker

I do mine on a weber kettle 22". I apply a small amount of a non sugar rub on both sides. I use a charcoal basket with a mix of mild wood like cherry, or apple and charcoal. I then smoke them (covered) with low heat for 30 min. I then spread some new charcoal and cook them with direct heat uncover and apply a good quality sauce. Make sure you turn them frequently to avoid burning. Keep it simple and your Likely to have succes. These are a very forgiving cut of meat. Be creative, and experiment. Good luck and post your results!
allboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
funugy
Take a breath!

I'd start simple with pork steaks. They have a lot of fat in them. I season mine with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Somtimes I add paprika.

The two ways I prefer it cooked is pan fried over a medium low heat, very little oil. And of course done over coals on the kettle. Depending on how hot the fire is you may have to go indirect for a little and sear towards the end.

Cooked just right it is very tender and juicy and they don't take long to cook. I have been craving some good pork chops and porl steaks lately, they just made my short list.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
dwfisk

Name/Nickname : Dave

I asked about the same question earlier and got some good answers from the brothers.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=155066
Just went to my meat guy and had 4 nice 1-1/4" steaks cut out of a butt. I'm going to try to go for an asian/polynesian marinade and braise. I'm cooking tomorrow and will share results.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

I like to get them cut very thin, about 1/2 inch thick.
They grill very quickly over a hot fire.
Grill a few extra for sandwiches the next day.
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Sprinkle them with your favorite rub and cook them in a kettle hot. they are so tender that you will think twice about pork chops.
We use them to make changes and tweak rubs and sauces too.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #13
Smoking Westy
is one Smokin' Farker

I cook mine over a hot fire, season with you favorite rub, fresh cracked pepper and then onto the Weber over a hot fire. Pork steaks are one of the few items I like slathered with BBQ sauce. Sauce them right t the end of the cook, remove from the fire and enjoy!

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #14
Wampus

We like ours done pretty much exactly like beef steaks, just cooked a little more, but not OVERcooked.

Rubbed down with EVOO, kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper and maybe finely minced fresh garlic or garlic powder. Grill over direct heat until medium or about 140-145 IT. Rest and serve em up. Slightly pink on the inside for awesome flavor and tender juicy love! Cooking we if you can't handle pink pork, but the new safe temp for pork is lower than 160 now.

Done this way, they're every bit as good as a beef steak.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #15
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

I cut pork steaks into cubes and use them instead of meatballs in spaghetti sauce...
Or sometimes cook them like a steak on the grill.