Red Sky Pizza Stone

ymmiT

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just ordered myself a pizza stone and peel:becky:. What do you other pizza grillers use for dough? The Pillsbury tubed stuff or make your own?

I am lazy so I get mine from Whole Foods or Trader Joes. You can usually ask at a local pizza place and they will sell you some too.

The red sky stone is great! I use one on my FrankenWeber Kettle because it can withstand really high temps.

As per the Colonel, I would use either TJ's or WF, or good local pizzeria dough any day over Pillsbury.

Here's a tutorial I did using store bought dough with step by step instructions:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102712

Also, Zippylip on this board offered two great homemade dough recipes - one same day, and the other cold ferment that both look fantastic!

Make my own. Currently enamored with one similar to Bucc's, but have been making another with whole wheat because it's Harvard's favorite.

Now you are opening a whole new can of worms....

00 flour
gram scale

LOTS of info here and elsewhere on the internet.... making dough is easy, perfecting it takes ???????????????

enjoy the ride

I started with the packaged stuff but now I make my own. There is no comparision. Freah is way better. Here's the receipe I've been using the last few times I made dough.

Olive Oil Dough
From Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day
(makes about 4 pizzas)

2 3/4 cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 tablespoons granulated yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
6 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

Mix the water, yeast, salt, sugar and olive oil in a 5-quart, lidded container (or bowl).

Mix the flour in, without kneading. Use a wooden spoon, a stand mixer, or a food processor.

Cover, not airtight, and let sit at room temperature for about 2 hours, until the dough rises and then flattens on top.

Store in the fridge, keep it covered, but not air tight, and use within 12 days.

On the day you are going to make pizza, bring the dough out of the fridge. Dust the surface of the dough with some flour and pull off a one pound chunk (using a serrated knife or kitchen shears), this is about grapefruit size. Put the rest of the dough back in the fridge to be used another day. Using floured hands quickly shape into a ball and then roll out, just like you roll any other pizza dough. Using flour when needed to keep it from sticking. There is no need for it to rest, you can proceed directly with your pizza recipe!

This sounds very interesting. I wonder if it can be made with part whole wheat flour? I may have to try this one. I like the idea of being able to keep it in the fridge for a week or so. Pizza this week; pizza next week without the extra work. Nice idea! Thanks, halfprice! :thumb:

I use the one halfprice posted. It is very easy to make and store.

tish, you can make it with whole wheat flour. I would try a half recipe to see if you like it.

Sent from my obsolete 3GS iPhone.

So I can walk into my favorite NY-style pizza shop and get them to sell me a ball of dough? I have heard this mentioned here several times before but I haven't asked about it.

I use the one halfprice posted. It is very easy to make and store.

tish, you can make it with whole wheat flour. I would try a half recipe to see if you like it.

Sent from my obsolete 3GS iPhone.

Thanks, Pyle. I printed it out, and will be trying half wheat flour on the next pizza night. :thumb:

Make my own... I used to own a couple of pizza joints and did sell the dough balls - to my good customers.

I always make my own.

Pizza.jpg

Thanks for the recipe halfprice. I will definitely have to try your recipe. I am just getting into making my own dough. I have been making different types of bread for a while now so this shouldn't be to different. What I really want to learn is how to stretch it by twirling it on my fingers and/or fist an throwing it up in the air and catching it without tearing. Do you have to be Italian to do this? :laugh:

Thanks for the recipe halfprice. I will definitely have to try your recipe. I am just getting into making my own dough. I have been making different types of bread for a while now so this shouldn't be to different. What I really want to learn is how to stretch it by twirling it on my fingers and/or fist an throwing it up in the air and catching it without tearing. Do you have to be Italian to do this? :laugh:

The link that Moose posted above has a good video demonstrating the technique.

So I can walk into my favorite NY-style pizza shop and get them to sell me a ball of dough? I have heard this mentioned here several times before but I haven't asked about it.
Sure, I have purchased rounds of dough from several pizza places in my area. Just ask for the manager and try not to go in during the dinner rush.

Back