Bought a used UDS need advice

Sharkyj

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I bought a used UDS that was built by someone else. This drum was built on a black slick side drum with some sort of black paint in the drum. Previous owner said he bought a food grade barrel that supposedly contained peanut butter . Any way the owner bought a Big Poppa Smoker Kit and assembled the smoker and only used in 2 times. After buying it I did a quick search on the internet and it was highly recommended that you burn the drum out to be sure to remove any paint or coatings from the barrel before using it (previous owner did not). So i disassemble the drum and use a Harbor Freight propane weed burner to burn the paint off of the entire barrel( Got red hot a time or two). After burning it out with the weed burner I took a steel wire brush and scrubbed out the inside, and then followed with a cupped wire brush on an angle grinder to quickly remove anything left from the fire. I then followed up with scrubbing it with comet with a scotch brite and gave it a good scrubbing . I then washed the inside of the barrel out with water until clean. There were a few areas where the metal had a dark color that looked like paint in the pores of the metal but the very intense scrubbing did not take it off the surface. Did I do enough or do I need to do more to clean it out. I have ran it through 2 cycles of 6 hour empty cooks to try and season it.
Thanks

Sam, for all the work you went to, you need to make two fatties!

Thanks for all of the input. Used it a few days ago and smoked a chuck roast came out great>

Back