First Time Pulled Lamb Shoulder (pron)

SmokinJohn

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So I bit the bullet and bought a lamb shoulder. 3 lbs. No pic of the nekkid little lamb. sorry.

Rubbed with a paste of garlic, oregano, black pepper and parsley, and let it sit overnight.

No, I did not add salt to the rub; I have been placed on a low sodium diet (I still cook full sodium for my friends and family), and I wanted to see if the lamb really needed it. It didn't.

rubbedlamb.jpg

Put the little lamb in the UDS and let it sit at 275 for about 3 hours.

lambuds.jpg

The pan had water in it. I used maple wood chunks.

The IT was 160, so I pulled it and foiled it. I will let it go a little longer next time, as the pulling was not as easy as it is with a pork shoulder.

pulledlamb.jpg

Here are the leftover parts: Fat and bones. I got a 50% yield from this shoulder.

lambleftovers.jpg

The taste? OMFG. I don't care if you hate lamb. You will love it smoked. Now I see why our Australian brethren have tried to keep it a secret.

This is by far my 6 year old's favorite smoked meat.

If you ever want to use the SC mustard based sauce--this is the perfect time.

I also make it with just the NC style vinegar baste and sauce--extremely good and it lessens the 'gamey' flavor

looks good. For next time, if you're looking to pull it, cook until it probes tender, and it'll pull with no problem.

I absolutely love lamb and hadn't cooked it in a while. This looks great, John!

We'll be conscious of the low sodium deal at the pig roast!

so excited you posted this, thank you. I have a lamb shoulder in the freezer I was waiting for the fall / winter to braise... now I think I have a better idea :grin:

The shoulder is _THE_ lamb cut to pull, and from your pic you are spot on, it was a little under but you have it down.
Next will be perfect. I don't use a thermometer, just let the meat tell you when it is ready. It's like brisket, prod it, then when you are close probe or stick a fork in it and twist.
If you go too far it gets stringy, but it is a wide window compared to brisket so don't worry. Just don't talk to the scotch bottle too much and forget it completely.
Don't ask me how I know that...

There was no gamey smell in the UDS when I got home (and it's been in the 90s here).

Your lamb looks great, awesome first effort mate.
start making your own flatbreads to serve it

Absolutely amazing. Love lamb, haven't tried smoking much of it yet. I smoked the breast a few times but this looks ridiculous. For sure next on my list. Thanks for posting

Back