Grill Marks On Ribs????

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Im gonna try and put some grill marks on my next slab of ribs for appearance. Probably on an expanded metal grate with a really hot fire underneath.

Question is, do you think judges would like this or be more likely to freak?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Not sure if grill marks would be a positive or negative for appearance. Not used to seeing them on ribs. Doubt they would make a big difference to me. Probably easier
to hurt your appearance score than help it.

Better consider if that hot fire will hurt tenderness and texture.

I'll try the experiment to see if I can make it look good, and post pics for feedback when I do.

Now I have to decide whether to try and sear them before or after smoking.

Why? If it were me I would be concerned with cooking them right and making sure they taste good.

Just curious. I really don't know if the appearence would be enhanced or not. I don't think it would impact my judging at all.

Why? If it were me I would be concerned with cooking them right and making sure they taste good.

Just curious. I really don't know if the appearence would be enhanced or not. I don't think it would impact my judging at all.

Taste and texture will always be top priority for me. This was just a purely cosmetic idea. I'm always looking for something to set myself a little bit apart but not too much.

From a judges perspective, if it's not considered a mark (which is immediate DQ), it
is a sign that it's been grilled, not smoked low and slow. Might be wrong, but they'll
be expecting it to not be as tender or moist as they'd want. Basically, it sends the
wrong signal/message.

Also, it can't really help with your appearance score, and could possibly lower it. The
risk is to the down side, not the up side, IMHO. Either way, appearance is graded
VERY VERY VERY small as compared to texture and taste.

I wouldn't, but that's just me.

Im gonna try and put some grill marks on my next slab of ribs for appearance. Probably on an expanded metal grate with a really hot fire underneath.

Question is, do you think judges would like this or be more likely to freak?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I take it you won't be competing anywhere then... except like maybe up north in boston or maine where they have no business coming out of their houses at all to even attempt BBQ... or somewhere they might like "contrived" entries. :-D

In some places it would be a disqualification plain and simple.

I take it you won't be competing anywhere then... except like maybe up north in boston or maine where they have no business coming out of their houses at all to even attempt BBQ... or somewhere they might like "contrived" entries. :-D

Contrived Entry ? HAHAHAHA Every successful cook has a contrived entry. You can't just slap a piece of meant on the smoker and expect to do well. Your funny.

ouch.......:becky:

Maybe try a practice batch and post some pictures...I think most judges like their ribs to be fairly dark to start with and a grill mark is likely to make them think the ribs are burnt...

Lynn H.

Not at all. I didn't say it WAS a marked entry. I said that is what I would be worried about.

I think it's ridiculous to think some grill marks could be considered marking. Every smoker out there has grates in it. Some people cook low and slow some cook hot and fast. That's like saying putting shiny sauce on your entry is marking. :crazy: Just sayin

Actually Im competing in the New Orleans area, where most people consider Barbecue and Grilling to be the same thing. If I were to be competing in the "Republic of Texas" or the Midwest somewhere, I wouldn't waste my time even considering it.

I think it's ridiculous to think some grill marks could be considered marking. Every smoker out there has grates in it. Some people cook low and slow some cook hot and fast. That's like saying putting shiny sauce on your entry is marking. :crazy: Just sayin

Like I said, I didn't say it WAS marking, only that I might be worried about the judges considering it marked...

Back