Smoking two 17lb prime ribs...HELP!

mcoupe

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm doing this for my stepsons bday, and he wanted smoked prime rib. I've done one before, but it was half the size. Any time and temp suggestions would be appreciated. Also was going to inject it and rub it the night before ....tonight. Was thinking 250, but need it done about 4 ready to eat at 5...30 people. Should i start at 12, bring it to 135, foil it in a cooler for an hour?thanks for any help.

I love it!!! Ive done a few 25# before... I did not inject... heres the rub... 1-1-1-1 One tbs kosher salt pepper garlic powder and onion powder... Learned it from smokey hale... anyway Put a probe in meat and cook it till its med rare:-D and slice... I would think it would take about 11 hrs or so if its done early wrap in foil and put in warm place mine turned out awsome.... ive done maybe 4 big ones ... and i cook at 225

Do not inject unless you plan to take that meat to 195... you will end up with a gelatin wherever you injected it and you are gonna be pissed. Do not ask me how i know this...

You are better off marinading it instead. I do prime ribs all the time... i keep it at 225 until internal hits 135F.

Then fire up the grill and reverse sear it to 145F.. Let it rest for 30 mins tinted and you will be good to go.

I figure 20 minutes per pound of the largest piece. This is at 250 degrees. 17 pounders should take approx 5 hours 40 minutes. I usually cut the whole prime ribs in half--not because it cooks faster---but cutting them in half gives you more of the highly requested end pieces. I also do not inject prime rib

It's a rib eye. Why try to alter the flavor with injections and/or marinades? Just my opinion there.

I've cooked a few hundred loins. Season the outside, cook it at 325-350, and take it off at 125.

Everyone will have a different combination of the above.

I have to agree: don't inject, cook hot, rest slightly. We use a good english style rub and cook to about 120. I usually make 12 to 15 pounders and they never take more than 6 hours.

It's a rib eye. Why try to alter the flavor with injections and/or marinades? Just my opinion there.

I've cooked a few hundred loins. Season the outside, cook it at 325-350, and take it off at 125.

Everyone will have a different combination of the above.

This is what I do too. Cook at a higher temp (I usually target 325) and pull at around 125. With the high heat cook it'll climb a few more degrees when resting and have a GREAT crust on the meat.

On the spit for ~ 2 hours until 120 F in the center..

and let it rest for ~ 15 - 20 mins to settle the juices..
btw I rub with equal:
Paprika powder,
Black pepper.
Garlic powder
Oregano
and let it sit in the fridge for 4 days uncovered to dry age a bit then rub some kosher salt on it just before it goes on the spit..
HPIM0912_640x480.JPG

stukkie%20vlees%20met%20de%20kerst_640x480_1.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all the info, starting these puppies in about an hour, with all your expertise, they should be awesome!

Rather than inject a Rib Roast; why not provide some dipping sauces. Like a nice
Horseradish sauce, a Au Jus, and a Blue Cheese dressing. Then everybody can try
different ones to see which they like best.

Rather than inject a Rib Roast; why not provide some dipping sauces. Like a nice
Horseradish sauce, a Au Jus, and a Blue Cheese dressing. Then everybody can try
different ones to see which they like best.

Now there's a man that knows how to serve beef!

A rib loin is going to have a carry over of about 10 degrees. That is why anywhere from 120-125 works for me. The temp is gonna rise to 130+ during the rest period.

Cook it to 145 and you're gonna end up with a final temp of around 155. If that's what you're looking for, that's great. For me...I'd cry like a baby.

It be did when did,cook to temp,not time.250(no higher,grid) til it hits 125 Internal temp,NO MORE than 130,tent-n-rest 20-30 minutes.No need to sear,it ain't a steak,it's Standing Rib Roast.Higher temps will only get you an OVERCOOKED outer ring on an otherwise evenly roasted piece of meat.:wink: You,me or anyone else can throw a slab back on the grill for a minute or two for the squimmish,but we cannot UNCOOK anything.

I'm late for the party, but I always like to reverse sear my rib roasts. I've done several for Christmases in the past. For future reference, Thirdeye's site has some great time/temp info: http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html

I like to make a fresh herb paste with thyme, dill, coriander seed (crushed), EVOO and garlic. Rub all over the roast, cook at 300 until it reaches about 110 then finish it off in a screaming hot oven or smoker at about 500 degrees until it hits 125-130. Then rest and carve.

SO ANYWAY.....how did YOURS turn out?

I don't know but this guy does !!

I'm doing this for my stepsons bday, and he wanted smoked prime rib. I've done one before, but it was half the size. Any time and temp suggestions would be appreciated. Also was going to inject it and rub it the night before ....tonight. Was thinking 250, but need it done about 4 ready to eat at 5...30 people. Should i start at 12, bring it to 135, foil it in a cooler for an hour?thanks for any help.

cropped-OWFG-Logo.jpg

Skip to content
← Welcome Friends! We will be up and running soon!
Smoked Whole Pig →

Smoked Prime Rib

Posted on May 24, 2011 by Chuck
Father’s Day is upon us, and if you want to really impress your dinner guests and family this year, put a Smoked Prime Rib on ‘em! We started smoking a prime rib for Christmas dinner a few years ago, and it has turned out to be the greatest thing I have ever cooked on a smoker, hands down. But it is an expensive chunk of meat, so you don’t want to mess it up. Here’s a how-to tutorial to make it simple.
What you’ll need:
Prime Rib (you can get a boneless or standing rib roast, your choice, just make sure you get the best quality piece that is available, without an overly thick fatcap)
Meat Thermometer (you need an electronic probe type that measures the internal temperature of the meat and diplays it on a monitor outside of the cooker)
Olive Oil
Kosher Salt
Cracked Black Pepper (or for a little extra kick use Montreal Steak Seasoning)
Aluminum Foil
Lump Charcoal (optional)
Oak, Hickory, Pecan, Apple, or Cherry wood for smoke flavor
Smoker (can be offset style, vertical style, Big Green Egg, even a Weber Kettle)
Now the How-to Part:
Select the best piece of prime rib that your butcher or meat department has available, one without too much fat. You can get a standing rib roast or boneless. If you get the standing rib roast, I would have the butcher trim the rib bones off the main portion and then reattach them with butcher’s twine. That way you can present the Smoked Prime Rib at the table as a standing rib roast, then easily detach the rib section for carving (the ribs are good to eat too!). Here is a pic of a good quality boneless prime rib.
Now, coat the outside of the Prime Rib with olive oil and season with Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, or your favorite seasoning combo. Personally, I prefer Montreal Steak seasoning. I would avoid seasonings that have a high sugar content. For this cook I used Willingham’s Cajun Hot BBQ Rub and some Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Next you need to build your fire. I usually cook my Smoked Prime Rib on my offset smoker, using red oak for the fire. But you can use any type cooker that you like. If you’re using charcoal for the fire, I would suggest using lump charcoal, and a few chunks of wood for the smoke flavor. In my opinion, the best woods to use would be oak, hickory, pecan, apple or cherry, with oak having a huge lead in the race. The key here is to get your temp up to 225-250 degrees. If you are using a Weber Kettle Grill, I would suggest building your fire by banking your charcoal on one side, and placing a water pan under the grate where the Prime Rib will be placed. Also, when you place the lid on the Weber Kettle Grill once the cook begins, be sure to situate the vent over top of the meat to draw the smoke over the Prime Rib. No matter which cooker you are using, you want to maintain a 225-250 degree fire.
While your fire is getting going, insert the meat thermometer into the center of the Prime Rib. I would suggest letting the Prime Rib sit out on the counter during this time, to let it warm up closer to room temperature. Once you are ready to cook, put the Prime Rib on your cooker and close the lid. Monitor the temperature of the cooker and the meat closely. Now don’t flip out if the cooker goes to 275 or even 300, but I would use 300 as the barrier, don’t let it get any hotter. Conversely I would’nt cook any cooler than 215. The goal is to try and have the heat evened out before you put the meat on, as well as the smoke. You want a very light, white or even blue stream of smoke. It doesn’t take alot. You want to cook the Prime Rib to an internal temperature of 120 degrees.

Once you have reached this temp, pull it off the cooker and place it in a pan, and fashion a foil tent over the Prime Rib with aluminum foil, so that it doesn’t cover the meat tightly, but creates a space that it can continue to slowly cook while it rests. 125 degrees is considered rare, 135 degrees medium and 145 well. Let it sit covered for 30 minutes, and it will rise to around 125-130 degrees. If you have guests that like varying degrees of doneness, you can simply place the slices to be more done in the oven on 250 degrees for a few minutes to get it to their liking. The point is this-this is a high dollar piece of meat. You can undercook it and just add heat to get it more cooked, but you can’t take the doneness away. And it’s not like a steak, where you can cook each individual one to everyone’s preference. So, cook it to rare, slice it, and warm the individual pieces accordingly.
Folks, this is the ultimate for a Holiday Dinner. This is EVEN BETTER than an oven cooked prime rib. This is what the Good Lord had in mind when he created beef. This is SMOKED PRIME RIB!!! Enjoy!

Back