First Cook of the New Year

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Thought I'd start off my cooking this year with a brisket (11.7 lbs after trimming) and a butt (7.1 lbs).

Here they are all injected and rubbed down:
IMG_6934.jpg

and onto the XL Egg:
IMG_6937.jpg

to be continued...

Hey John
Please HURRY I'm really hungry NOW!!!!!

Yea I know it's done when it's done

That's a nice looking start, looking forward to the end!:cool:

Maybe this should have been titled "first mismanaged cook of the year" as I'm way off on my times. It definitely didn't help that I got lazy and didn't clean out my Egg and didn't put in enough lump. :doh: So much fun handling a hot plate setter with a drip pan! That's a mistake I won't make again.

I also went without foiling until the rest period this time (I normally foil when IT reaches around 165) and I'm pretty sure that added to the cook time as well. The butt was removed at 196 degrees and only rested just over an hour (I normally wait 2+ hours). The bone put up a little fight which I'm not used to. Flavor is good but not quite as tender as I like. I forgot to take a picture of the butt before pulling. It had a nice dark bark to it.

Here's the pulled pork:
IMG_6943.jpg

The brisket is still on the Egg. It cleared 190 and upon first probe still had some resistence. It definitely more bark than when I foil. Hopefully it'll get the tenderness I'm looking for. I'll have a pic at some point tonight. Getting kind of late for me to make burnt ends... :tsk:

Lookin good John! Hope you don't have to work tomorrow. :p

Unfortunately, I do have to work. This is turning into the cook I would like to forget. In 45 minutes, IT has dropped 2 degrees down to 188. WTH? I have a bad feeling about this...

You can do it John, just another hour or so.

You can do it John, just another hour or so.

There is no "Stumping The Landarc" is there? Of course you were right Bob.

Here's the brisket (that strange curve towards the bottom of the meat is an errant cut by a butcher):

IMG_6944.jpg

IMG_6946.jpg

IMG_6952.jpg

Some smaller slices with some crazy bark:
IMG_6956.jpg

Brisket was a little overcooked and it crumbled a little in a couple of places so I have some "chopped brisket". I was a bit surprised at how tender it came out considering I didn't foil until the end.

I'm happy with the result but not happy with how many mistakes I made.

Now I gotta get some sleep. :icon_sleepy

Forgot one pic of the ends which could have used more cooking time but it was just too late:
IMG_6958.jpg

Anything you are not happy with you can send to me! Looks awesome from here.

"I'm happy with the result but not happy with how many mistakes I made.".....R2Egg2Q

I'll be there to help clean up your mistakes when ya get off work....:becky:
Looks purdy OK to me....

Good job John! That brisket looks mighty good. You've got me inspired to head over to Smart and Final to see if they've got some whole briskets. My BGE is hungry for one.
Marty

Back