How long do you season your wood(s)?

Smoked Nachos?

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm having a really hard time finding seasoned wood around here for some reason. I saw on Aaron Franklin's video he mentioned for a lot of fruit woods you can use them green without getting too much creosote. I was wondering how long you season your hardwoods, nut woods, and fruit woods and about what moisture content you're looking for?

I harvest a lot of cherry from my dad's place. I haven't really tried using it green though.. I usually let it it sit as whole logs for 6-8 months, then split it. From there it goes to the end of the line until I need it, about another 6 months usually.

If I'm in a pinch for seasoned wood, I go to craigslist. You can usually find someone selling it, but prices are a bit higher than buying regular firewood. Last time I bought wood, I got a face cord of 1/2 hickory 1/2 cherry for $110.

Mesquite I let season for a year, my post oak is standing dead wood that has been barren for a year before I cut it. so it is ready as soon as it hits the ground.

I get a lot of apple wood from the orchards in my area. I usually season it for 6 months.

Does the seasoning timeframe change if your using a stick burner or if your adding chunks to something like a WSM?

I picked up a bag of mini logs (40 lbs.?) at Academy Sports last weekend. Kiln dried pecan. They also had oak, hickory and apple. I was very pleased with the results.

My folks just felled a white birch that's been in the back garden for a number of years now. I'm gonna claim the thing for smoking, there's enough wood there to last me a long long time

You can tell if wood is still green or not...dry it good and get to smoking

My folks just felled a white birch that's been in the back garden for a number of years now. I'm gonna claim the thing for smoking, there's enough wood there to last me a long long time

To late on the birch unless it was cut and stacked undercover. It rots out the fastest along the lines of aspen. If it's on the ground it's toast

It's only been there for a week or two at most, I'll check for rot but I think it should be okay. It was very much alive and well until it was cut down

I'm having a really hard time finding seasoned wood around here for some reason. I saw on Aaron Franklin's video he mentioned for a lot of fruit woods you can use them green without getting too much creosote. I was wondering how long you season your hardwoods, nut woods, and fruit woods and about what moisture content you're looking for?

You can use unseasoned fruit woods if you have a really hot fire in your pit, if you are cooking low and slow chances are green wood will just smolder and go out.
I season my wood splits for 8-12 months depending on the type, apple 12 months, black cherry 12 months, red maple 8 months.

Does the seasoning timeframe change if your using a stick burner or if your adding chunks to something like a WSM?

Yes, if you chunk your wood up to the size you use in a WSM it will season more quickly. How quickly depends on the species.

Thanks, guys. I wanted to try pecan on my turkey practice runs for Thanksgiving, but it's only been seasoned 3 months and you can pick it up and tell that it's still full of water.

I don't have much storage space to season wood, but the guy was asking $5.00 to fill up my trunk! I gave him $10.00 because $5.00 was just too cheap. He's cutting me up some into smaller splits and seasoning it for me, so I'll go pick that up after I start to use up what I have.

Back