Which Firebox to Use ?

Hog-O-Holic

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hi all...just finishing up my offset 55 gallon barrel smoker... I am lackingunds so I have two choices of fireboxes from 2 old smokers that I have... a cylinder shape from an old Brinkman Smoke N Pit and a square one from a NB Bandera....I cannot figure out which one to use ... Ihave a 4 inch diameter 36inch in length smokestack (27 in. of it sticks out of the barrel)....I have stuffed another barrel inside of it to make it thicker..I have other mods that I will be making later but I can't decide which shape of firebox to use that would be the best...PLEASE GIVE ME ANY THOUGHTS THAT YOU ALL MIGHT HAVE...PLEASE!!! ..Thanks

Whichever one is easyist to attach - KISS rule

go with the square bandera one, and put on a new flat top of heavier steel.

I like the flat one. It is handy to be able to cook things, heat up your finishing sauce and even preheating your wood before you add it. I hate not having that with a round firebox.

Phil, how much of a difference did that custom lid make on your scout bandera? And, could you achieve the same results by welding a sheet onto the bottom of the stock lid?

What is "lackingunds"? Is that Nordic for something...?

Ah yes...that makes much more sense. I can relate...:sad:

Phil, how much of a difference did that custom lid make on your scout bandera? And, could you achieve the same results by welding a sheet onto the bottom of the stock lid?

it made a huge difference. I think it was a combination of the mass of steel and the fact that it gets the heat directly into the chamber. Im not sure if a thin sheet will work as well though. I think if you weld a heavy sheet inside it would work, but why not just cut off the gable and weld it across the top.??

Back