THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JONESY

is one Smokin' Farker
I picked up a nice pork shoulder the other day and wanted something a little different, so I tried Smoked Pork Carnitas.

I rubbed the shoulder with;
Brown sugar
Paprika
Ancho chili powder
Chipotle chili powder
Hot Mexican chili powder
Cumin
Mexican oregano
S/P
1.jpg

On to the smoker at 250 degrees
2.jpg

3.jpg

After about 4 hours, I put the butt in a dutch oven with, green chilies, onion, cilantro, and beef stock. This went back on the smoker at about 300 degrees for another 2 hours.
4.jpg

Pulled
5.jpg

And plated up on corn tortillas with home made pico, red onion, and fresh cilantro.
6.jpg

These were some of the best tacos I've had in a long time.

Man that looks so good. I did my own version of carnitas and after the pork was done on the smoke, I chunked out large hunks and tossed them into the dutch oven that had some hot lard in it, seasoned with the mexican spices and took it off to chop...amazing. I love carnitas. Your tacos look off the hook.

P1300174.jpg

Looks great. Tell your neighbor to get rid of the gas grill and get a charcoal.

Your carnitas look awesome! My daughters 17th birthday party was last Saturday and she wanted me to make smoked carnitas, chicken enchiladas, and chile rellenos.

I rubbed a pork shoulder with Guajillo chile power, Ancho chile powder, New Mexico red chile powder, Cumino power, salt and black pepper.

I also smoked the pork shoulder at 250Âş with hickory and mesquite for around 4 hours then finished in a dutch oven with Negra Modelo beer, chicken stock, orange juice, Mexican oregano, garlic, and a touch of cinnamon.

My daughter and the guests at her party loved the carnitas but the best part is a friend of mine is a chef at a local restaurant and is using my recipe as a special dish in his restaurant this summer.

Very nice, and yup lard is the secret. I talk my pork all the way to pulling then just dice and crisp in lard. I also use pulled pork for tamales....your tacos look amazing, nice garnishments :thumb:

Back