End of Summer party

smokeisgood

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Having a party in a couple of weeks, and so far the guest list is about 35-40 Adult couples. I'm keeping things simple and having pulled pork. I will also do some kind of chicken, either pulled or quarters or legs, just in case someone doesn't want or can't eat pork. I plan on cooking more pork than chicken. So, my question is, 2 butts or 3 (Three is a lot of pork, but I don't want to run out. My local butcher sells them in 2 packs, and I have one frozen in the freezer. So should I thaw it, or just cook 2 that I will be picking up.

What will the side situation look like? There are several catering calculators online. I've used one before by oakridge (Google by searching 'Oakridge catering calculator') and it did a great job on quantities.

35-40 adult couples? Is that 70-80 people?

Even if it's 35-40 people, I think you're light using just 2 butts. I usually get 60-65% yield on bone in Boston butts, so here's what two would look like:

2 x 8lb = 16lb raw * .6 yield = 9.6lb cooked. Depending on the appetite of your guests, 1/3lb - 1/2lb per person is probably a good estimate, and you'd be struggling to feed 30 people @ 1/3lb, although maybe with chicken and the right # of people opting for that over pork, you'll be alright. You can play with the numbers from there.

Even if it's 35-40 people, I think you're light using just 2 butts. I usually get 60-65% yield on bone in Boston butts, so here's what two would look like:

2 x 8lb = 16lb raw * .6 yield = 9.6lb cooked. Depending on the appetite of your guests, 1/3lb - 1/2lb per person is probably a good estimate, and you'd be struggling to feed 30 people @ 1/3lb, although maybe with chicken and the right # of people opting for that over pork, you'll be alright. You can play with the numbers from there.

100% agree! Was gonna suggest 3 butts if feeding 35-40 people. Unless there are lots of sides and additional protein, I’d be nervous with 2. If 70-80 people, that’s a whole nuther’ story!

1 butt per 10 people is how I roll.

It works out to about 1/3-1/2lb per person (1-2 sandwiches)

slightly off topic but somewhat pertinent; how do you guys calculate kids? I'm talking 12-under? I usually calculate them as 1/2 adult. When I host, there's almost more kids than Parents, lol.

sorry to OP if I hijacked.

1/4lb, they'll either eat it, or they'll take it and throw it in the trash, but that's what I budget for. Small kids eat a negligible amount of one of their parent's food.

This is a REALLY good template to work from. It's saved my hide on many cooks.

Back