Brisket for Chili

BBQ Grail

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
New Years Day traditional meal for my house is Chili. I was planning to use leftover brisket from my BYU Bowl BBQ Bash last night, but they inhaled all of it so now I have to smoke some more.

I'm planning to smoke a small flat on Monday. I want the meat firm enough to dice it up. Should I just smoke it until 165 degrees and that's good enough. Or what?

If I foil at 165 and then foil until 190 it's going to just fall apart.

Advise please.

I agree. I cook flats and packers for chili, cubed sammie meat, etc. at about 300* to an internal of 180*. This doesn't allow the collagens to break down, and the result is a firmer meat.

I guess I am the odd man out here. I take it the distance, cut it up and let it fall apart in shreds as it cooks.

If you don't want it falling apart, your plan sound great to me! Brisket Chili rocks!!

I guess I am the odd man out here. I take it the distance, cut it up and let it fall apart in shreds as it cooks.

I got to have the little cubes of beef. Must be a hold over from my three years in Texas back in the 70's.

I usually do brisket or round for chili, smoke it at close to 200-225 tops till 130+- internal, then cube it and brown it in the pan. I imagine you could go higher if you wanted to but I just figured if you are gonna brown it and simmer it anyways then that was enough.

I've done it both ways, fall apart shredded and chopped. But I cook it the same way I always do. Take it to 190 in foil (I set in a pan and foil over that so it can sit in it's juices). I would then let rest for a few hours. Unfoil and refoil (to get it out of the juice that it is left soaking in). Then toss that in the fridge to cool off. That will firm back up the meat. To do a shredded version just skip that last step.

Delicious either way!

I do it both ways in the same batch! But I don't usually cook just the flat. I take some that shreds and cube up some firmer stuff too.
Heaven in a bowl!

Yea that cubed deal works good
I won a little Cook/Off by doing
my Chili that way

I've done 180 for chopping into chunks. Depending on how long it is cooking in the chili it may still fall apart though.

The flat is on. I'm smoking at 225 until 135 degrees internal with Cherry wood. We shall see how it goes.

the link to the pictures isn't working:biggrin:

Funny! No pictures today. I'm sorry for breaking the big rule. I should have known better.

Smoked it though until 140 internal. Nice smoke ring, still a lot of juice inside. It's all diced up and in the freezer for Brisket Chili on New Years Day.

I WILL take pictures then!!!!

Back