Montreal Steak Seasoning on Brisket

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Didn't have a good brisket rub on hand and didn't have time to make one up, so I reached for the Montreal Steak Seasoning. Really liked it, but seemed to be missing something. Salt, Garlic, and Pepper were perfect, but seemed too bland or basic to me. Maybe a few more herbs, or sugar, or chili powder, not sure.

Anyone use Montreal Steak on brisket with anything else?

I use it with Jack's Old South rub and I know quite a few other guys use it along with other rubs.

Its in my prime rib recipe. Use it all the time. The recipe is in our recipe section.

chad said:
I use it with Jack's Old South rub and I know quite a few other guys use it along with other rubs.

Equal parts or just eyeball it? Thanks for the tip. I've not tried JOS rub. I'll probably try some Head Country and Smokin Guns Hot rub with it.

BBQchef33 said:
Its in my prime rib recipe. Use it all the time. The recipe is in our recipe section.

Phil's Prime rib is real good... but I think the recipe only will work on Prime Rib ... Here's a 5lb boneless prime rib I did a few months back with it....

Last edited:
......... seems like some of the well-known rub guys make it a point to differentiate their brisket rubs from all their others. They make a point of noting the special characteristices of beef, brisket, cooking time, as differentiating issues requiring a different rub. I have Spicewine's Heifer Dust, Dave's (Klose) Championship Brisket Rub, John Henry's Brisket Rub.

I prefer John Henry's Old Stockyard Steak Seasoning to Montreal, but would only use it on brisket in an emergency.

Maybe some of the saavy Brethren can add some supporting detail concerning formulation of these brisket rubs.

Sometimes you'll see a specific brisket rub contain either a more coarse grind and/or less sugar . They'll sometimes market the coarse grind and less sugar as a way to hold up better to much longer cook times for larger cuts of meat and get more flavor into the meat....

Texas BBQ Rub and Dizzy Dust are two that I know of that market a coarse rub in addition to their regular grind. Texas BBQ rub also has very large, noticeable pieces of dried onion or garlic in it... I used Texas BBQ Rub on a brisket once and all I got was a sloppy mess... Did not care for it at all.

I prefer texasbbqrub #2 but who really gives a chit :twisted:

Found this from Richard McPeake on the Rib Stars site. The salt extracting moisture seems to make sense. I suppose you can counteract that a bit with injecting. The low salt on pork butt differs with my viewpoint. I think salt and bbq pork are great together as a seasoning... and not a brine/cure.

Applying Dry Rubs: Dry rubs can be applied the night before or the hour before, this is really is determine by the amount of salt ratio in your rub. The greater the salt ratio the more moisture it will pull out of your meat product. I like to apply my dry rubs on the product while the smoker fire and chamber is getting hot or to temperature. If the salt ratio is lower, I will use it earlier. In my Pulled Pork Rub, the salt ratio is very low, so I apply the rub 12 hours ahead. On ribs and brisket I apply the rub while the smoker is heating up. Chicken I apply the rub just before placing it in the smoker.

Plowboy said:
Didn't have a good brisket rub on hand and didn't have time to make one up, so I reached for the Montreal Steak Seasoning. Really liked it, but seemed to be missing something. Salt, Garlic, and Pepper were perfect, but seemed too bland or basic to me. Maybe a few more herbs, or sugar, or chili powder, not sure.

Anyone use Montreal Steak on brisket with anything else?

Montreal is a good all-around rub at my house. Just like Phil, I like it on prime rib. Also on cowboy potatoes. The store-bought ones are good, just not as fresh tasting as home-made. Here is the recipe I use to make a Montreal/Canadian Steak Rub. Maybe you can add or increase the "missing" tastes you are after. (BTW, two of the items in my brisket rub that are not in my Montreal are celery seed and paprika, so I guess I would add those).

Ingredients:
3T coriander seeds
3T black peppercorns
4T dried bell pepper (mix green & red bell pepper)
2T onion flakes
2T garlic flakes
2T sea salt
1T caraway seeds
2T dill seeds
1T dried thyme
1t dried lemon peel

Combine all ingredients and grind in a coffee grinder.

thirdeye said:
Montreal is a good all-around rub at my house. Just like Phil, I like it on prime rib. Also on cowboy potatoes. The store-bought ones are good, just not as fresh tasting as home-made. Here is the recipe I use to make a Montreal/Canadian Steak Rub. Maybe you can add or increase the "missing" tastes you are after. (BTW, two of the items in my brisket rub that are not in my Montreal are celery seed and paprika, so I guess I would add those).

Ingredients:
3T coriander seeds
3T black peppercorns
2T onion flakes
2T garlic flakes
2T sea salt
1T caraway seeds
2T dill seeds
1T dried thyme
1t dried lemon peel

Thanks. I've had my two pounder of McCormick's for a year or two, so it is getting a little stale. A friend of mine is a spice and coffee distributor, so I can get some fresh, quality product.

I know some folks who swear by the montreal. (Then again, I've seen them eat out of bustubs)
I'm not crazy about it, but in conjunction with a few others herbs and spices it can probably be improved on.

Wow!

thirdeye said:

Ingredients:
3T coriander seeds
3T black peppercorns
2T onion flakes
2T garlic flakes
2T sea salt
1T caraway seeds
2T dill seeds
1T dried thyme
1t dried lemon peel

Do you have a coffee grinder that will hold all that a once? Mine is just a little guy. 3T of pepercorns would fill it up. Tell me more!

I think Montreal Steak Seasoning is like Emeril's Essence.
Basically a "fit it all" spice blend that is a great place to start if you want to modify it. Or, it works fine by itself in many cases.

Not perfect--just a heck of a good start. :lol:

TIM

bbqjoe said:
I know some folks who swear by the montreal. (Then again, I've seen them eat out of bustubs)
I'm not crazy about it, but in conjunction with a few others herbs and spices it can probably be improved on.

Its the only good steak seasoning I've used. Not that I've used many.

Back