We finally won it!

J

jmoney7269

A local Cookoff we do every year. This was our 4th year of it.
It also had a music festival afterwards with a few good Tx country bands. Nice way to celebrate another grand champion finish this year.
40 teams
1st chefs choice
4th beans
5th chicken
5th ribs
2nd brisket
F8E80702-3401-47D3-B3D9-28B6F27AF5F4-723-0000013A74703D5C.jpg

DACD8F90-3AE0-48F7-9150-D52C269C2E66-723-0000013A62F56BA6.jpg

914ED262-4E2A-4A44-AFF9-64115F9F9A2B-723-0000013A345508D8.jpg

My buddy Jason who has helped me a lot with perfecting my recipes finally beat me in brisket. I will never hear the end of it.

Congrats, J$. Chicken looks gorgeous.
BTW - do you cook the chicken on a kettle vs. the Vault?

We cook chicken on the UDS. It just makes a better tasting chicken. That cooked over live coals on chickens really does well.

There was a team next to us that cooked on 2 traegers, a Lil tex and 075. They were admiring my 075 and the controller that I used for My chefs choice entry. bacon wrapped gulf shrimp (8ct) with orange chipotle glaze. My wife was like, man I can't believe you won with that sweet spicy crap! Got the usual "electric pit, cheater" speech from some teams but a pellet pit is legit according to the rules so the heck with what others think. We had a good Time and drank lots of cold beer. I directed that team to an old friend Billy that builds a ready to run version of my homebrew PID controller. I would have actually directed them towards my old hangout, pelletheads, but since the owner of the forum Larry banned me for no reason, so they can forget about me sending them members so I send them here. BBQ is fun and I just enjoy the libations that assis the art and teaching anyone who shares my passion.

My wife was like, man I can't believe you won with that sweet spicy crap!

Sweet spic crap often wins, and not just on shrimp :becky:

People really still comment on pellet cookers? I see many Traegers, Yoders, and Cookshacks at contests.

Sweet spic crap often wins, and not just on shrimp :becky:

People really still comment on pellet cookers? I see many Traegers, Yoders, and Cookshacks at contests.

My thought exactly. Rather than explain why my pits are legal now, I let them just whine how they aren't. Just some people are knuckle draggers and would rather just feed their pit trees when I run a whole Cookoff and 2 pits off 1 bag of wicked good charcoal and some wood chunks. Harvey Gebhard told me a while back that nobody cares when you loose, but if you winning you gotta be cheating so get prepared for the accusations, they're gonna come. Boy was he right.

Back