Should I re-season?

Chef Jim

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just unloaded my new smoker, well new to me and my first. It's a NB Bandera. I took a chance and bought this sight unseen cause it seemed to be a good deal. It's the old style with the heavy metal.

I cleaned it out. The seller met me half way but had not cleaned out any ash. It was all over!

The smoker is in pretty good shape but the racks and box are kind of sticky. I have no idea what he cooked in it.

I was thinking a good hot fire and then a re-season might be a good thing to do. Does any one have a suggestion on how to do this, should I do this, and what kind on oil would I use,

I am unable to post a photo right now, sorry about that.

Thanks, Jim

I would burn it out first too. Use a fair amount of lump charcoal to get her hot, that will burn clean, run it with the intakes/exhaust fully open. Afterwards, scrape it out, and anything left you can either hit with a power washer, wire brush, whatever it takes. For oil, Vegetable Oil, Crisco, Lard, you get the idea. Then make a regular sized fire and let it burn out and cool down to season.

i heat my bandera up and then spray it with the hose for a good steam cleaning. dont go much over 300 inside though because im not sure the steel on the bandera can handle the shock and not warp. I have done it at 300 and it was fine. Scrape out any real heavy globs and reseason by alternating between high heat(350+) and heavy smoke(damper down). Do that for 3-4 hours.

On edit.. When i do this, i use a high pressure/Low volume nozzle on the hose.. it takes off all the grease, and the steam helps to soften it up, but the low volume does not cool the steel to fast.

Chris, thanks for the tip, will start that tomorrow. Wasn't sure about using a pressure washer but I do have one so I might try it. Thanks

Back