THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If they're the same price I like the flats 'cause they're fairly consistent in thickness. Although with the points (even corned) I like the ends chopped up on a bun. I just picked up 4 points for $1.49/lb. I'm thinking I might pick up a couple more? Flats were $2.99. That was a nobrainer for me. Cheers!!!

If they're the same price I like the flats 'cause they're fairly consistent in thickness. Although with the points (even corned) I like the ends chopped up on a bun. I just picked up 4 points for $1.49/lb. I'm thinking I might pick up a couple more? Flats were $2.99. That was a nobrainer for me. Cheers!!!

They are both the same price.

I prefer the point because of the higher fat content. The point has that wondeful fatty goodness on top and sort of a small "flat" like portion on bottom...best of both worlds.

For eating off a plate, the point, for eating in a sandwich, the flat. I prefer the texture of the flat in a sandwich. The fatty point is better with veggies and taters.

The last few "flats" I have bought, weren't true flats. They were labeled flat, but had a section of the point still on it..... and the price did not reflect it. Yes, I called the toll free number, yes I took it back to the store, yes they replaced it with another.... same problem...... So, if you buy a flat, pay for a flat, call the toll free number, complain, then take the receipt and package back to the store.

Now to answer your question. I usually prefer the flat as it has more meat.

i prefer the flats. But I wind up smoking them into a pastrami, finished 3rd Eye style. Sliced thin with some kraut... yum. Too many bad memories of boiled point dinners as a kid. That being said, I also find a thin point section still intact on the flat cuts. All good.

Last edited:
I think they're both great, I'd say try both. Get a whole packer brisket too and make your own corned beef with some morton's tender quick too.

The point about pre-cut flats sometimes being the "in between" piece is a GREAT point. Really look at the bag and see if you can see the grain, if you see it changing direction you've got a little of both and I'd put it back.

A lot of people find that pre-cut flats have more fat removed then they'd like.

The point is fattier. Some days I like that, some days I don't. They're both great though.

Back