Best Cheapo smoker....????

dizzyBBQ18

Knows what a fatty is.
What would you guys say the best cheapo smoker would be?
Under 150$. I'd more than likely make some mods to it.
Char-broil, Brinkman, etc.
Thanks for your opinions. They will make a big difference.

Do you want a set-and-forget unit or something you need to feed? Do you want a charcoal unit or a stick burner? I have both a UDS and a Chargriller w/sfb. Each is inexpensive but each is a different cooking experience. The stick burner is a better flavor profile IMO.
Curly

Buy vintage American Steel

NOT Chinese sheet metal. New Braunfels Black Diamond 50$ CL plus 30 bucks in paint/supplies plus 3-4 hours elbow equity. Lots of Bretheren have found the Banderas as well. Drums-well very few people complain about their cookers.

There is a huge difference between cheap in price and cheap in quality.

That being said there are a lot of people on this planet cooking with Chinese sheet metal cookers. None appear to be starving, most appear to be happy.

Best wishes on your decision.

The above is my opinion only. Lock and load

Last edited:
If you go with the Brinkman offset take some fire mortar and line the bottom half of the cooking chamber, fire box. It will help with the temperature control and overall lifespan of the unit. A cheap welders blanket for $6:00 from Harbor Freight will also help during cold weather. With all that said you can't go wrong by making a UDS!!!!!!

Buy the best, only cry once.

Find a WSM on CL, or save your pennies until you can afford to buy a new one.

Big green egg. I you add up all the money you will save by not buying another smoker or grill for 40 years my math is sound...

I got some food safe rtv around the cook chamber. But nothing in the fire box.
I returned it last year sanded wire brush and scrubbed it. 6 coats of high temp paint.

Attachments

• 20140523_071009.jpg
    20140523_071009.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 20140523_071048.jpg
    20140523_071048.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 151
Thats the only mod I did. And well added lots of paint.
Smoked awsome last year just want to maybe do a couple more mods but not sure or just get a new one but I have no money so pretty much not worth it and the good ones are to look expensive.
steel is like 1/8" on the one I have and the fire box is a lil small. So I'd want a new fire box if anything. Ionosphere.

Now that I actually understand smoking, I'd save the money to get the 22 WSM and never regret that purchase (and save the time and money not having to do any mods).

Just stopped in to see how many UDS answers there were... Not as many as I expected.

If you want an offset, I think you have to spend some money. About the cheapest offset that I see continually get good reviews is the Old Country Wrangler from Academy. Check HERE. But I assume since the WSM is out of your range so is this.

ECB from Lowes, el cheapo for a reason, but once you get it tuned in, it will cook good eats.

Back