Burnt Ends Comp Question

big matt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Next week we are competing in our first comp..Question I normally remove the fat cap from the point end to get good bark on the bottom,when it's done i remove the point and scrape the fat off add more rub and back on to get bark on the other side..now as per kcbs rule #10 it states pork cannot be seperated and
put back on but brisket says it could be point,flat or whole..so am I legal to pop it back on?..thanks for the info and here is a picture of my burnt ends

DSC00330.jpg

Yep. Brisket can go back on and be parted.

Those look good.

thanks a lot guys just making sure and I knew where to ask!..and they taste awesome too,and every time i make them they are ALWAYS the first thing gone.

Matt, there has been & will be a bunch of us who think that the pork "parting rule" is pretty stupid. This is a prime example of why that rule should be done away with. By the way, good lookin' eats right there!

Can you put the chunks back on the cooker or does the point have to be whole when it goes back on the pit?

Can you put the chunks back on the cooker or does the point have to be whole when it goes back on the pit?

by KCBS rules, pork butt is the only thing that cannot go back in the pit after being separated (parted)

Seems an odd rule, but you can put anything else back in in pretty much any condition.

In Atlanta, Georgia, it's illegal to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or street lamp. In Pueblo, Colorado, it is illegal to let a dandelion grow within city limits. In Alabama, it is illegal to wear a fake mustache that causes laughter in church. You may not be arrested and jailed if you're caught pulling any of these stunts, but make no mistake: these rules are on the books.....

and in KCBS competition you cannot part your pork and return it to the cooker :doh:

just saying...

In Atlanta, Georgia, it's illegal to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or street lamp. In Pueblo, Colorado, it is illegal to let a dandelion grow within city limits. In Alabama, it is illegal to wear a fake mustache that causes laughter in church. You may not be arrested and jailed if you're caught pulling any of these stunts, but make no mistake: these rules are on the books.....

and in KCBS competition you cannot part your pork and return it to the cooker :doh:

just saying...

Sorry to get off topic ... but are you implying that everyone does put pork back in the smoker after parting? I can't speak for other parts of the country, but it's definitely not the norm in the midwest.

If that's not what you meant - my apologies in advance

Back