BBQ Scam --- Please look

goodsmokebbq

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I got a very strange email from someone that wanted me to cook bbq for them. 200 sandwiches, and a private shipper would pick them up for a charge of $950 :shock:. I just had to add the shipper fee to my charge, and he was very willing to give his credit card. My scam radar went off right away, and he has been very vague about my other questions. His english was very choppy. I did a quick google search and found this:

http://www.ketv.com/7canhelp/21117851/detail.html

He contacted me through my website so I am sure he is targeting others.

Be careful and please spread the word.

I never got to the order stage and I am still emailing back and forth. Lets see how much I can charge for an order of 200 sandwiches :-D.

The email below was sent to everyone listed in my team directory yesterday.

Hello,
This is Paul Cole , I will like to make an Order BBQ pork and if you are available on the 20th of October i will like to make an order of 200 pieces of BBQ pork and it will be pick up by private shipper agent and am ready to pay for the full payment now with my credit card so can make it for me on that date and it will be pickup by 1:30 PM and can i have the price per person and the Grand total and can i have you name and address so i can forward it to the private shipper for pickup of the BBQ when is ready for pickup and what type of credit card do you accept.

Hope to hear from you back.

Thanks
Paul

damn scammers, there's too many of these a@@holes on earth....seller beware also for scams involving cars. People will send you a bogus check for the ammount of the car plus the shipping, than you have to pay the shipper, always bogus.

The website got it right about being an old scam, but they missed what the scam is. The actual scam is to commit identity theft, overpay for something with the identity theft, and then ask for a refund of the overpayment via Western Union. Eventually the IT victim find out and gets back his money from the seller, and the seller can't get anything back from Western Union. Used to happen a lot on Craigs List, especially with business checks. As some one who works Credit Cards and Identity Theft, I can tell you a few good rules of thumb: Understand your liabillity with your CC acquirer and never accept orders beyond a certain size unless the cardholder is present or you know him. It will decrease your discount fees and reduce your risk of fraud. Always allow a check to clear for 14-21 days before presuming it is truly clear. Never, (NEVER NEVER NEVER) accept overpayment for anything and give a refunds. Never conduct business over Western Union or any other wire service.

Good catch! Shouldn't this be double posted in the catering forum?

dmp

We had the same kind of scam at an IT company I worked at. In this case it was a washed check. The really sad thing is we called the FBI and we could only press charges if we really had cashed the check and got ripped off. Since we caught it there was nothing that could be done. That really needs to be changed.

The email below was sent to everyone listed in my team directory yesterday.

That must be some hungry dude, he contacted me also and wanted 200 pieces of pork. Of course he couldn't spell half the words correctly.

dang spammers.

Good catch all. I have to ask waht the scam is though, to make you cook food and not get paid? Just curious, excuse my ignorance.

Good catch all. I have to ask waht the scam is though, to make you cook food and not get paid? Just curious, excuse my ignorance.

It is the classic private shipper scam. They use a stolen credit card or fake checks to pay us, then we are suposed to pay the "private shipper" which is just some fake company they have created to launder the stolen credit card money.

They are making calls through a relay service as well. We had been contacted for a catering for 1000 people, they would pay and pick up and we only needed to pay the shippers fees. I did not fall for this scam and they sent me an email confirming I sent it to the FBI. No results and I am still getting these calls. I tried to block the number but they won't allow it, so we have to put up with it, about 3-5 a week and if you hang up it ties up the line for about an hour. If you tell them you are not interested they call back 2 or 3 more times. Now I tell the relay operater that this is a scam and it has been turned over to the FBI. So it ends for the day at least.

I have gotten something just like this only in regards to my printing company. So it is not just happening in the BBQ industry.

Damn! I already started cooking pork...

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Got the same email as well. Looked too stupid to even bother with so I just deleted it.

I just received one of those hearing impaired assisted calls wanting me to quote a large amount of chicken salad and wanted to know if I took credit cards. When I explained that I did on site catering and would not ship the salad, they hung up on me. Same scam as mentioned above. Caterers beware!

I received 2 more of these scam calls last week! They wanted me to ship large amounts of BBQ this time. When I explained that I would have to deliver it myself and would only take cash, they hung up on me.....imagine that! Caterers beware!

Back