No sleep for me ...

FatDaddy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Cant get my damn temps up on my wsm. been hanging around the 197-205 mark after i closed the vents to 25% for the past hour. i opened em all back up bout 5min ago. anyone got any ideas what the deal is? its breezy out with a north wind i have the WSM in my carport with my truck parked in front of it blockin out most of the wind. but it is still getting a good draft. guess im not used to cookin in under 100+ degree weather.

Are you using the Minion method? It might be that you just didn't start with enough lit coals... You might try setting the lid off a bit... just enough offset to allow a bit more air down into the cooker. Set it off about 1/4" or so... You might also try taking the side door off for a few minutes and stir the coals...

James.

I don't think taking the lid offf will help as a matter of fact it will loose you some heat. Have you tried adding more charcoal?

I got her up to temp and was holding steady at 230 by 300am. got me a couple hours of shut eye. just stuck a maple fatty on and a hot JD fatty stuffed with chorizo and jalapeno and cheddar cheese. bringing her back up to bout 225 after adding another 1/2 gallon of water to the pan, and sprayin the brisket with applejuice and jack daniels.

Sawdustguy said:
I don't think taking the lid offf will help as a matter of fact it will loose you some heat. Have you tried adding more charcoal?
Offsetting the lid just a bit is one method of getting a WSM to run a little hotter. I've used a WSM for a few years now, and it has worked for me time and time again. Do you cook on a WSM?

James.

Or, if it's not windy, you can put the door on upside down and use a stick or something to hold it up and prop it open a bit. If you don't feel like having to add water on long cooks, try the foil trick on the water pan. I just did a a couple of 12 hr butt and brisket cooks and didn't have to add a drop. In fact, the pan was still at least 1/2 full by the end of those cooks.

I switched to using sand in the pan after my first cook on the WSM... It works great and you don't have to refill during a cook...

James.

Get rid of the water in the water pan and cover it with foil leaving a dip in the middle for the juices to pool up in. This will increase your temps tremendously and you will have good results guaranteed!
~Jim

foiled the brisket at about 160, just took the foil off bout 10 min ago and brisket sittin at 180. lettin the bark firm back up. This brisket cooked alot quicker than i anticipated. i figured at least 15 hours. but my probe is sliding in pretty easy. and it hasnt even been 12 hours yet. pulled the fatties off and eatin on the for brunch and the chicken is brining. gonna be some good grub. pics to follow if i remember to take them.. first brisket ive done with hickory. that sucker is black.

This happens often for various reason, first one being not starting with enuf lit charcoal. If its the beginning of the cook, the easiest fix is to remove the entire center chamber(carefully!) set it aside and let the fire start up better.. fan it a little to get it going then when you have red hot coals goin on top, put the chambers back together, open all vents and see where you settle in... if u still need more heat, then offset the lid a touch to give you a 1/4 to 1/2 in gap along the side. This will increase your airflow, and finally, if u still need more, then open the door and get some air on the coals with a blower of some type(blow dryer, Dust mizer etc..). Once u have flames in there, close it down and your temps will climp rapidly.. once your about 20 degrees over your target, cllose the lower vents down a little bit and start tweaking it till it settles in.

This is a great gadget for getting the fire going..... its a hand cranked blower. Ebay has it, but u can get it for around 30 bucks around the internet. Its called the Dustin Mizer. i use it all the time for the WSM.. once i load the lit coals on top and alls assempled(and before the food goes in), I use this for about 30 seconds to get the heat up and everything started.

mizer.jpg

FatDaddy said:
adding another 1/2 gallon of water to the pan,

I always add hot water to the pan so the WSM doesn't have to use energy heating it up.

Upside, WSM comes to temp quicker using less coals.

Downside, less beer drinking time!! :grin:

well brisket tasted ok. my buddies liked it. but it turned out a little to dry for me . i did turn the point into burnt ends so i may just chop up the remaining brisket and add some sauce and just have sammichs all week. the chicken turned out good and the sausage turned out good. i didnt feel that it was worthy of a photo shoot, so i just hid her in the fridge. thanks for all the info on this dandy little smoker.

All's well that ends well!

been hanging around the 197-205 mark after i closed the vents to 25% for the past hour.

Not sure how you estimate 25%, but you may have been choking the fire.

Those vents are difficult to judge % individually.

My temp was starting to climb up over 250* yeterday with them fully opened, so I shut one completely (leaving a KNOWN 2 out of 3, or 66%, open) and it settled in nicely in the 225-250 range.

Because of the problem in estimating % in each. I work with one vent at a time after starting out wide open. It makes it easier to estimate how much you are closing off.

Back