First burnt ends - school me!

HankB

is Blowin Smoke!
After tasting the burnt ends from Steamboat at our mid-winter GTG I decided I really needed to up my brisket game. I picked up a 17 1/4 packer at Costco and got to work this morning.

I started by watching a couple Youtube videos on separating the point from the flat. I had already looked up some recipes and decided to go this route rather than smoke the packer and separate part way or after the smoke. [Need to run out and check my fire]

1000 - Empty cooker up to 275°F - meat on!

Back to prep. I cut more fat off this packer than I have ever done in the past. I really like the fat. I usually take some trimmings and smoke them along with the meat. My dirty secret. :wink:

IMG-20190205-093830.jpg

(All images kindly hosted at https://postimages.org)

Then I made a rub. My first thought was to KISS, going with salt and pepper. Then I recalled that I like a little coriander in my rub. And I remember that Raichlen has a rub recipe that includes coffee and cocoa. I wound up putting the following in my spice grinder:
  • 2 Tbsp coffee beans (Sumatra dark roast.)
  • 2 Tbsp pepper corns
  • 2 Tbsp whole coriander
Once ground I added about 2 Tbsp Hershey's cocoa powder, a Tbsp coarse sea salt, and mixed. I rubbed the trimmed point and flat with this mix. (I hope I got the point and flat separated properly.)

IMG-20190205-093653.jpg

I'm not big on rubbing long in advance. I usually rub before I prepare the cooker. For cooking, I chose the 26" kettle. I think an 18" WSM would have worked too, but all of the meat is easily accessible on the 26. I use a couple firebrick to isolate the charcoals for a totally indirect cook. It looks like this.

IMG-20190205-094038.jpg

I fired with KBB and some recently acquired hickory chunks. (You can literally find hickory by the side of the road near where my son lives in Michigan. We noticed a branch from a shagbark hickory that had broken and was hanging off the tree. We took his truck, a Ford F350 4x4, to pull it the rest of the way down. Ha! Broken hickory is still pretty strong. The branch was about 6" in diameter. This fall we saw that it had finally come down of its own accord so this last weekend when we were in the area to run a half marathon, we cut it up and retrieved it. But I digress. A lot. :blah:) Once the cooker was going and read 275°F, I put the meat on and snapped a picture before closing it up.

MVIMG-20190205-095807.jpg

The little bits in the middle should cook faster and I'll have them for lunch or maybe add them to the burnt ends.

My plan going forward is to smoke the burnt ends (with the brisket) until done - probe tender. Then I'll chop and put in a pan. All of the videos use aluminum pans but I'm a cast iron kind of guy so I might use that. Actually, I wrap my briskets in paper to finish so the point should go into some kind of container at that time.

I plan to make a sauce with the pan drippings, BBQ sauce and probably some sweetener. Honey? Maple syrup? I might add some rub too, but I'll have to be careful with that since my rubs are a little unconventional. My go-to sauce is Sweet Baby Ray's. They're a local business.

Feel free to add your suggestions and pointers to help me along. I plan to follow up with progress but that will be a while. I like to keep the cooker closed when I load it up. (If you're lookin' you're not cookin')

Thanks!

Edit: progress

1050 - cooker is reading 320°F (on the lid thermo) so I closed the lid vents to about 1/2. I'd prefer 250-300°F

Last edited:
  1. It will cook faster. (Ice storm predicted tonight - might be trouble holding temp.)
  2. More surface area for smoke.
  3. Maybe easier - I'm not really sure.
  4. Get rid of more fat before cook.
What would you do and why?

1145 - Lid therm at 290°F - perfect! And starting to smell pretty good. :)

Thanks!

Separating before cooking is something I've toyed with in my mind for some time now. I'm very interested in how this cook goes for you.

Best of Luck.

I would cook it whole and then separate I believe that the point will help keep the flat moist and it is also much easier to separate too
I also cook fat side down

I'm very interested in how this cook goes for you.
Me too!
I would cook it whole and then separate I believe that the point will help keep the flat moist and it is also much easier to separate too
Depending on how the results come out I may try that next time.

1345 - Cooker lid temp down to about 210. :sad: Stirred coals and added some more. Grabbed one of the little bits to taste. Pretty tough! But tasty.

I separate them so I can get more rub on the point. Part of the flat overlaps the point and if you do not separate them you can't get any rub on the part of the point that is covered by the flat. I trim almost all of the surface fat off of the point, it has enough marbling that I don't worry about it drying out and I use an insulated cabinet smoker by 270 Smokers that has very even heat so I'm not worried about protecting the meat from the heat. I also wrap mine once they get to the color I like them so that's another reason I'm not worried about leaving a fat cap on the point to protect the meat.

Last edited:
I would think you would want to leave some fat on one side to protect the meat
That's my SOP. I'm trying something different this time. There's still a fair amount of fat. I'll see how it works.

1445 - Temperature still hovering at 210°F on the lid thermo. Added some more charcoal and went for a run. Want to get my 7 miles in before the ice storm hits.

Screenshot-20190205-155142-1-PP.png

1730 - Temperature below 200°F. :mmph: Ash buildup seems to be slowing the burn. Stir the coals to clear out the ash and add some more charcoal. Probed the meat and it's about 135°F and far from probe tender. Good thing I'm not on a deadline. Well... I'm back and ready to tend the fire.

Edit: And the ice storm has begun.

Edit: 1820 - lid therm up to 280°F. Back in business. :)

Last edited:
I’m certainly no pro, but I’ve cooked quite a few briskets and my very best burnt ends were when I separated point and flat before cooking. I got twice as much bark and more seasoning and smoke into the point than I had cooking whole.

Am I the only one that can’t see the pics?

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Am I the only one that can’t see the pics?

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm trying a new photo sharing service. I'm hoping that I'm not the only one who can see the pictures. Perhaps a Tapatalk thing?

1920 - Cooker at 280°, meat at about 165°F. I put the point in CI and added some chicken broth (because that's what was in the fridge.)

IMG-20190205-191243.jpg

2020 - Cooker 260°, meat up to 175°.

2100 - raining harder and I can hear thunder. :( Rain has pulled the temperature in the cooker down to 200°F. Time to roll it up outside and finish in a 275° oven. <sigh>

2230 - point at 200°. Time to cut up burnt ends and wrap the flat.

2305 - point chopped and in sauce (1 C Sweet Baby Ray's, 1/3 C honey, Tbsp rub.) Flat wrapped and back on broiler pan.

0100 - I declare the burnt ends done. Flat, almost.

IMG-20190206-005519.jpg

Last edited:
0130 - Turn off the oven. the flat is done and will rest until morning when I unwrap it and chill it.

What to do differently next time:
  1. More moisture for the burnt ends. It cooked off in the last step leaving them on the dry side. Perhaps I can rehydrate a bit when I reheat them.

I have a lot of opportunity for improvement on this cook.

My briskets haven't always been the best but this one is probably the worst. The flat came out hard and dry - definitely overcooked. I really missed the boat on that. I can't really say whether the lack of fat cap affected it or if it would have been good if not overcooked. I think I'll be using it to make chili.

The burnt ends were better. They too were a little on the dry side but not nearly as much as the flat. Flavor is a bit on the bland side. I think that next time I'll add a little cider vinegar to the mix to balance the sweetness and give it a little tang. I'll also be ready to add water if it looks like it is getting dry before they finish.

I've also separated the flat/point several times. It seems to me that they get done at different times. I don't want to overcook the flat because the point is still going.

Sorry your brisket didn't turn out well. It definitely is an art form, and sounds like you'll be able to eat it anyways :thumb:

I haven't cooked enough briskets to say that I am an expert, but perhaps the temperature fluctuations had a lot to do with it because as it was struggling in the low heat, it was still losing moisture due to the extended cook time. If it had been done, say 2 hours earlier, then there may have been a significant difference in the end. Great experiment!!

... and sounds like you'll be able to eat it anyways :thumb:
Any landing I can walk away from ... ;)

... perhaps the temperature fluctuations had a lot to do with it because as it was struggling in the low heat, it was still losing moisture due to the extended cook time.
Entirely possible. I would much prefer to to keep it going at a steady pace, particularly when most of the fat has been removed.

Edit: I reheated the burnt ends in a mix of 1 part cider vinegar, 2 parts water, a couple squirts of Worcestershire and a couple squirts of hot sauce. The meat rehydrated nicely and the additions brightened the flavor quite a bit.

Back