BGE short ribs with photos

cmcadams

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I had short ribs at a local bistro that were amazing, so I wanted to try them for myself. The bistro does them for 12 hours at 175 degrees, then 8 more at 155. My BGE won't do that, so I tried it a bit differently.

Short ribs are typically done in a dutch oven type set up, covered, and braising is the way to cook them. The one thing missing from the bistro's short ribs was a bit of smoke.

I seared the ribs on the grill, then lowered the temp down to about 225, with some cherry wood on for smoke. I went back into the house and started the sauce... It's a simple thing: 2 carrots, 3 stalks of celery, a medium onion, a couple cloves of garlic and a large tomato. Tomatoes aren't in season, so I opened a can of san marzano tomatoes and used about 5 of them.

The sauce went into a cast iron dutch oven, and I also added some beef stock and red wine (I used a bordeaux). The ribs went into the sauce, and I added water to make sure the ribs were covered by about 1 inch.

The whole thing went onto the BGE, uncovered, for about 5 hours, until the ribs were very tender. I took some of the sauce, added a roux, and reduced it until it was thicker... Not gravy thick, just thicker.

I made some wild mushroom risotto with herbs and truffle oil to go with it. Great meal overall, though I would change a couple of things next time... Mainly, I would smoke the ribs longer on their own before putting them into the sauce to allow more fat to render off the ribs.

3377636190_1ac64553bd_b.jpg

3377638144_d276ff0610_o.jpg

3377657736_1b44f0ab00_o.jpg

3377637470_008e31c9b2_o.jpg

3377639194_67261789d3_b.jpg

3377640320_4a64168704_b.jpg

Darn, I just ate and now I am hungry all over again... Great looking meal!

A most excellent effort, Curt. Georgous plate.

Nice job Curt those look really good. It seems that the restuarants get first choice on the short ribs because I can never find any that look as good as the ones they get?

I think it depends a lot on the market where you shop. I am lucky enough to have a great place locally where I can find top quality stuff.

I only discovered them a few years ago. Wonderful stuff eh?
Try the Korean "angle". Get the "flanken cut", across the bones instead of with them. Straight grilled (well charred and indirect for a while) and marinated/basted in sauce with lots of black bean paste-that fermented hoisin flavor. Its the richest piece of meat I think I have ever had.
Let me go hunt down that recipe (hold music-Girl from Ipanema):
OK, marinade:

1/2 cup natural brewed soy sauce1 small onion
1 small Nashi (Asian) pear or semi sweet apple
6 cloves garlic
1 inch fresh ginger
2 tablespoons brown sugar or 3 tablespoons honey
4 spring/green onion
2 teaspoons pure toasted sesame seed oil
1 tablespoon rice wine
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Sauce: