Pre-made rubs/sauces

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
How many of you mix up your rubs and mixes before heading to the comps? Been watching Pit Masters and Smoked and some youtubes ... and noticed that some teams do and others make everything there on the spot.

I've always made my rubs in advance and vacuum sealed them in a Foodsaver container, usually only keeping them for about a month or so. Sauces I usually make 24-48 hours in advance.

When I start getting into competing I figure my rubs and sauces will be made a day or two before and I'll bring the ingredients to make more and/or make adjustments.

So I'm curious as to what y'all do.

Thanks,
G

When all is going well, rubs, sauces, and injections are made prior to arrival at the comp. Rubs and sauces, I will make enough for a month at a time. Injections, one comp at a time, two if thy are on back to back week ends. Every spring I start with new seasonings.

Just remember TV isn't real life..I guarantee those guys or most of them come to a comp with everything already made.

guaranteed. although, this season, and some of last seem to be alot of caterer's restauranteurs, not so much actual circuit competitors. so i guess ya never know. but i've never seen anyone mix a rub on site. on purpose anyway.

Sauces and Marinades / Injections are all made ahead of time. I treat them like a good stew that always tastes better the next day. I want all the flavors to come together and get happy happy happy. Only time can achieve this. Rubs, I also make ahead of time. It’s just easier to work in your own kitchen. Put the rubs into zip lock bags, and away you go.
On a side note, I also keep basic rub ingredients (Kosher Salt, Raw Sugar, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder) in my competition pantry. Just in case something needs tweaking.

Sauces and Marinades / Injections are all made ahead of time. I treat them like a good stew that always tastes better the next day. I want all the flavors to come together and get happy happy happy. Only time can achieve this. Rubs, I also make ahead of time. It’s just easier to work in your own kitchen. Put the rubs into zip lock bags, and away you go.
On a side note, I also keep basic rub ingredients (Kosher Salt, Raw Sugar, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder) in my competition pantry. Just in case something needs tweaking.

I do the exact thing.

We normally prep meats on site, as my job is unpredictable in terms of travel, so there is no way I can do that on a regular basis. We do, however, always make injections, rubs, and sauces ahead. Like Big Matt said, some of this stuff is being done for TV. It's more fun to watch someone make a rub than to have them pull it out of a storage box. It doesn't mean that is what they normally would do.

probably done for tv to show the process and have something else to talk about. I come with all my stuff ready to go.

A lot of us that compete don't make our rubs and sauces. We use commercially available rubs and sauces. I bet at least 50% of the teams use Blues Hog as their pork or rib glaze.

i figured the show had them mix those rubs for educational purposes just like the second episode they had everyone making sauce..make ahead of time is the way to go!

From the shows I figured it was more for the entertainment and some education - giving people a rough idea of what they use. For me - my education has come from this forum and practice.

I have seen and read about so many different rubs and mixes and tried many. Mixed and modified a few too. Now I have several I love! Just have to remember that the flavor you cook in comps is for the judges and may or may not be for the home preferences.

Again thanks everyone for their feedback. I'll keep making my stuff in advanced and bring the basics for tweaking if needed.

Side note - how many of you bring a Vacuum Sealer with you?

From the shows I figured it was more for the entertainment and some education - giving people a rough idea of what they use. For me - my education has come from this forum and practice.

I have seen and read about so many different rubs and mixes and tried many. Mixed and modified a few too. Now I have several I love! Just have to remember that the flavor you cook in comps is for the judges and may or may not be for the home preferences.

Again thanks everyone for their feedback. I'll keep making my stuff in advanced and bring the basics for tweaking if needed.

Side note - how many of you bring a Vacuum Sealer with you?

We do all our prepping including trimming and making rubs/sauces at home. Vac seal at home and then Friday before we leave go through the checklist.

Never saw a need to have a vac sealer on site.

Although I have only done 2 but we are already finding stuff we thought we need but were wrong so out of the bins or truck bed it goes.

Smart / experienced competitor takes as many "fail" factors out. One major over-riding factor is to forget an ingredient. So, they all mix as much as they can ahead of time. However, if they're warming their sauce, or adding in some juice at the last minute, that's expected and done...

Back