RD members - can you help me out?

caliking

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I don't own a business, so Restaurant Depot is not very accessible for me. For brethren who shop there regularly, could you check on something for me, please?

I am looking for Lazzari tandoor grade charcoal. I believe it is made out of mesquite. Supposedly these are large pieces of lump, sorted for use in tandoors (traditional Indian/Central Asian clay oven).

If you could let me know if you see it, and for what price, I would greatly appreciate it.

I used to use RO, but the pieces are small. B & B was better, but Academy did not carry that brand this year, so I could not stock up. I have written to Lazzari also.

I'm not sure if mesquite charcoal will affect the taste of the meats I usually grill in the tandoor, but I guess I'll just have to try it and find out.

Thanks in advance!

i haven't seen such animal at RD. but then again, i wasn't looking.

next time i'm there i'll check.

I have not seen this at RD either. However, I have seen mesquite lump at Sam's. Some of those chunks were the size of a small football but it was just a mix of sizes like a regular bag of lump.

Same thing out here on the Right Coast. RO and Kingsford. Even though you do not have a business you can still wander into and around the stores. Probably can get a day pass too by asking at the front desk.

Same thing out here on the Right Coast. RO and Kingsford. Even though you do not have a business you can still wander into and around the stores. Probably can get a day pass too by asking at the front desk.

I tried... they said they didn't do daypasses anymore. Maybe I'll call back and speak with the manager.

Give Lazzari a call and ask if they have any retailers near you.
415-467-2970 or 800-242-7265

No Lazzari out here either. Kingsford, RO, Best of the West lump and crap briquettes.

Give Lazzari a call and ask if they have any retailers near you.
415-467-2970 or 800-242-7265

Heard back from them (very prompt) - no tandoor charcoal in TX, but they sell their regular mesquite in RD. I'll try to get in and take a peek.

No Lazzari out here either. Kingsford, RO, Best of the West lump and crap briquettes.
That's odd... Lazarri is in CA. Go figure.

I buy this stuff at my local restaurant supply house - Cash n Carry. But I'm in Washington state. Open to the public. I pay $13.47/40 lb bag. It's dirt cheap, and smokes well. I think Costco sells it also.

You can use your KCBS membership card to get an RD pass. You will also need to print this... http://kcbs.us/discount_program.php#restaurantdepot

Ken

Ihrer's Fires

Fark!!:doh: I forgot about that... I can go check for myself! Thanks.

I buy this stuff at my local restaurant supply house - Cash n Carry. But I'm in Washington state. Open to the public. I pay $13.47/40 lb bag. It's dirt cheap, and smokes well. I think Costco sells it also.

Is that for Lazzari tandoor charcoal or Lazarri regular mesquite? Either way, that is an awesome price. I don't think I have seen any Lazarri at my local Costco.

Back