MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
Oldpro1946
On the road to being a farker

Default Packer brisket

I would like to smoke a packer but I am afraid that it will be too large for my small smoker. Would there be a problem with cutting in half and smoke it on 2 levels? Or should I just stick with a flat and smoke that. Thanks.
Oldpro1946 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
tburda

Name/Nickname : Tyler

If you think it wont fit, you're best off just smoking a flat. The packer is really only good, to do it as a packer, otherwise I PERSONALLY dont feel it holds much merit split in half. However doing a flat isn't as fun as a packer either in my opinion. I built a UDS just so i could do packers and not just flats :-p
tburda is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

if a flat will fit on your smoker i would suggest separating the point from the flat. cook the point on the lower level since since thats where the burnt ends come from and there is more fat that can render out from it.
southernstyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

You can prop it up in the middle with something like a rib or roasting rack until it shrinks enough to fit.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #5
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

How big is your smoker? You can find smaller packers (around 10 lbs) that may fit.

I agree that it is best to cook in one piece. HeSmellsLikeSmoke's ides of using a rib rack or even a metal bowl to hold up the middle until it shrinks. I've done that in my 18.5" WSM before.

If you do buy one and want to split it i would separate the point and flat as Southern Style suggests, but I would put the point above the flat and let the fat rendering from the point baste the flat.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

I agree with Ron. Point over flat...or even just lay the point ON the flat. Either way, let the fattier piece render over top of the leaner flat.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Never seperated the point from flat pre-cook.

For a wsm, you can usually cut a pretty good sized chunk off the point end without getting into the flat, cutting down the length of the packer to make it fit better. That way it'll cook like a whole packer and you'll even get more bark. Leave the chunk on the whole time for better fat rendering, and it's a great start for burnt ends.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
Oldpro1946

I have 3 levels of grates that are 11.75" X 13.75". I have never seen a packer but I assume that it would be too large to fit on 1 grate.
Oldpro1946 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
bwebb0017
Knows what a fatty is.

We split ours in half before cooking. I don't think it matters too much. It should cook the same, no matter what size it is. This reminds me of a post where a guy asked about taking a whole brisket and cubing it while it was still raw and turning the entire thing into burnt ends. It should work, no matter what size or shape you cut it into. Might make a marginal difference in competition cooking where marginal differences determine the winners & the losers, but for a home cook, I think it would go fine.

Just my opinion.
bwebb0017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #10
mwmac
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
You can prop it up in the middle with something like a rib or roasting rack until it shrinks enough to fit.
I use a foil-wrapped firebrick to prop up the middle when cooking packers on my 18.5 WSM

Old 10-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #11
Kenny Rogers
Full Fledged Farker

A beer can (empty of course) will work in a pinch too!