My kettle table design

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I used Google Sketchup to design a table for my kettle grill. The tile texture thats in the design is just a mock up since sketchup has very very limited textures to pick from.

Im going to use high heat mortar to hold the tile in place and a high heat grout. if all goes as planned, this will turn out nice. never built a table before or tiled so this is gonna be completely new to me.

Have not figured out the diameter of the hole yet because i need the kettles rim to stick about 2.5 to 3 inches above the table so i can use my rotisserie unit.

Attachments

• smoker table 56x32 top.jpg
    smoker table 56x32 top.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 313
  • smoker table 56x32 side.jpg
    smoker table 56x32 side.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 307
  • smoker table 56x32 front.jpg
    smoker table 56x32 front.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 309
Nice picture! I've been thinking about doing something similar. I was thinking mine might include:
1. A tiled space on the left side of the kettle for a starter chimney
2. Space under the table for the charcoal container - I use a Kingsford Kaddy
3. Some sort of fixture on the left side to hang the lid
Also, I think the table surface should be sized for two half-size sheet pans - one for raw, one for cooked.

Anybody have other ideas on table design features?

What's wrong with that woman's face?!?!?!

All kidding aside, it looks like a nice table. I'm in the process of whipping one up, too. I've got a piece of Stainless that was once the door of a commercial grade upright freezer that measures 24" by 68", with a nice rolled edge for the front lip. Just working up the table design to place underneath it, and how I am going to mount the kettle in. Removing the handle is one step I'm not looking forward too (I hate to harm a kettle!). Depending on how it goes, I may make a new tiled dining table for the deck with a smokey Joe mounted in the middle for shtzngiggls. I also have some thoughts on an on-deck fire ring made up of brick and another donor kettle, all on heavy duty casters. Post some pix of your build, I know I will!

For hanging the lid, I was thinking of some sort of small and stout half-hoop that protruded out of the kettle side of the table, that the lid hanger could catch.

Something similar to a slide aside can be hung on the left side. That was my thought last year when I built my table but never got around to that.
The opening, securing, and closing of the lid should be a quick, fluid motion.

I've posted this photo of my table here before. Portland cement based mortar and grout will break down after a while when subjected to high heat. The side where I bank my coals against show some deteriorating of the cement board, mortar, and grout.

George

Attachments

• kt07.jpg
    kt07.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Dangit, you just gave me an idea. I might build something like that to slide my UDS into... Maybe even a double if I build another UDS... Wife is gonna hate you for this one :wink:

Is the kettle held up by it's rim on the lower half, or some other method. I'm doing a big table/work surface to hold a XL BGE and my kettle would fit nicely on the opposite end.

Thanx guys. i will be startin the project after our roof is finished. Im looking forward to it. Ill take pics for you all. Im still in the final drafting stages.

I will have to post a picture of my trailer build here in a few days. I am mounting my performer on the V of the trailer and it is working out similar to this except I am using 1/4" steel for my table top to help with tongue weight.

Hopefully you aren't like me. I use Sketchup to make mock-ups of things I intend to build all the time...and rarely if ever start the build in real life.

Your table sketch looks excellent though.

Hopefully you aren't like me. I use Sketchup to make mock-ups of things I intend to build all the time...and rarely if ever start the build in real life.

Your table sketch looks excellent though.

LOL, hope not. haha

I had it all hand drawn out but needed a 3d program to see it visually. Another brethren told me about sketchup so i went and grabbed it.

Thanx. It took me like 6 hours to draw that because i had no idea how to use sketchup.

I will be keeping the handles on the kettle so that i can take it in and out of the table, plus i have the rotisserie kit on the kettle so i have to have it nest above the counter top bout 2.5 inches. My only problem, i dont know if 2.5 inches below the rim, if thats where the tapper starts. Also trying to draw a 20 inch diameter circle by hand is hard. Thinkin of using the ol nail and string trick.

Back