Country Style Ribs

Brew Crew

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I don't see you guys talk much about country style ribs. I can do a search and get some input, but since I have been on this forum I have not yet seen anyone talk about them. My kids just love them and I am trying out our new smoker today with my second cook on her. I got me a quarter rick of seasoned pecan to try out if I like pecan or not. Figured for $25 I couldn't go wrong with trying some new wood to see if I like. Went by United yesterday and they had these on sale for .99 cents a pound. Got all 5 packages they had set out and I put a rub on two packages last night and about to throw them on. I plan on about 3 hours at around 225. Here is a pre-cook image.

Attachments

• Country Style Ribs.jpg
    Country Style Ribs.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 333
You might have to go a little longer. I can't tell exactly from the pic, but it looks like those came from a Boston Butt. And we know how much fat content they have.

Genuine country-style ribs are more commonly grilled, coming from "high on the hog" and containing a generous portion of the pork loin. "Barbecued ribs" is more associated with babybacks and spares, which can benifit from time on the pit at lower temps to break down the collagen and tenderize 'em.

I can't tell what you got from your picture, although I seriously doubt it's country-style. To me, it does indeed look like strips of shoulder butt, but either way, "smoke on!"

Dave
UDS, wsm, wots, Char-griller

Around here, they cut the butt into 1/2" slices and call it pork steaks. They also cut it into 1-1/2" (aprx) slices and call it country ribs. It's all good.

Chuck

I like to get the "Shoulder Cut" ribs, which are cut from a Boston Butt as described above. I cook them to about 190 internal when they are almost fall apart tender. One nice thing about these is if you want you can cook them all the way to fall apart tender and make pulled pork out of it with extra bark (if you like bark that is).

just happened to do some country ribs today!:biggrin:

here they are, all rubbed down with a homemade rub!
IMG_6881.jpg

Fresh off the smoker! used a combination of apple and mulberry wood, also made a glaze from off the shelf bbq sauce, rootbeer and some of the rub.
IMG_6882.jpg

here they are on the plate with corn on the cob, homemade tater salad and green beans.
IMG_6884.jpg

You think those look good check out my creosote mess up. What a waste of good grub.:eek::eek::eek:

You think those look good check out my creosote mess up. What a waste of good grub.:eek::eek::eek:

Kinda worthless with out pron. :eusa_clap Picture does not give it justice, these were really bad. I still have a nasty taste in my mouth. Hope to have some good pictures to post soon. Live and learn!

Attachments

• creosote.jpg
    creosote.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 182
Maybe a little heavy on the pecan smoke. We don't do a lot of country style ribs. We cook our pork butts whole for the most part. When I have done the country style ribs, I have grilled them to get a good seer and color and then I stick them into my FE100 and let them sit and allow the fat to render for about 304 hourd. They come out pretty tender. To me, a pork butt has a lot of versatility.....wait for it.........no matter how you slice it!:biggrin::eek::biggrin:

Back