Head Country Rub

White Dog BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
To me, Head Country Rub has a distinctive smell and taste, but I can't put my finger on it. Does anyone know what spice or spices give it its distinctive taste? Thanks.

Erik

Its a Okie Secret
yea garlic and salt
We went on the plant tour when there
wonderful folks

No, its not the garlic or salt that gives it that distinct smell, I know what your talking about. Its an herby smell. If I remember correctly the ingredients are listed on the side. Been a long time since I had some.

Its a Okie Secret
yea garlic and salt
We went on the plant tour when there
wonderful folks

I remember that, you kept trying to get back into the office to steal the recipes. Didn't Paul have to tackle you? I agree with the salt.

I remember that, you kept trying to get back into the office to steal the recipes. Didn't Paul have to tackle you? I agree with the salt.

Hey You dont have to share everything you know.
Good to see you on here

I used some of this for the first time on a brisket last weekend...Loved IT

It's not the garlic I'm smelling and tasting -- something else, as JRB said. Maybe it is oregano -- I'll have to smell some to see.

It has Oregano, and also dried green pepper flakes. The flakes clog the shaker holes sometimes. I hate green peppers, and I mean HATE green peppers, and I can smell them in anything. If you pick the green stuff out of the rub some of it is Oregano, some I think are chives, and some are Green Pepper flakes. That said when you cook Head Country I dont taste the green pepper. It is really salty too, though.

I had some about 10 years ago and the only thing I remember about it was the salt. It was way too salty for my taste buds and BBQ.:rolleyes:

I like it on chicken..I always suspected it some type of powdered bouillon in it but thats just speculation

I always thought it was an 'herb/boullion' smell, and the ingredients did not seem to jib with what I thought I smelled. It is very different.

--Larry

I like it on chicken also, it gives the skin a good flavor and the saltiness isn't there after it's cooked. Don't really use it on anything but chicken though.

Back