Sour Cream in Fatty, am I going to poison someone?

CPMatthew

Knows what a fatty is.
Greetings Brethren and Sistren,

Over the 4th, I made a fatty that was stuffed with hash browns, bacon and cheddar. Sort of a loaded baked potato kind of deal. I was thinking of making another and kicking it up a notch by added some sour cream to the stuffing. My concern is that having the sour cream at low temps for so long my result in some nasty things growing in my food. What do you think? Is it going to gt hot enough to kill it all off or would I be better off using a packet of dry ranch seasoning? Thanks for any advice.

I would imagine sour cream will just turn into water or get lumpy. I wouldn't try it. It won't hurt anyone but I don't think it will melt well and do much for you.

I have made a French dish that uses sour cream, capers, olives and cream cheese for stuffing a chicken, while it was not good, it did not kill anyone. Actually, some folks liked it.

Here is an idear! Do all but the sour cream in the fattie. Then there are many from Mexican to garlic ect sour cream dipping sauces for after you slice on the interweb. Jmy2cents

Thanks for the feedback all. I ended up leaving the sour cream out of the fatty. I mixed some colby and mo teruyuki jack cheese with shredded potatoes and crumbled bacon for the stuffing and mixed in some ranch seasoning (the kind you mix with sour cream to make dip). I'll probably put some dipping sauce on the side when I serve them up.

I'm simply amazed at all of the different creations of "Fatties" the Brethren come up with. Am grateful for all the ideas that come from these pages.

I was gonna say cream cheese, but someone already said it. So what ^^^they said^^^up there^^^ where they said cream cheese!:nod:

SOur Cream would have been fine. It would have blended nicely with the cheese at temperature. Give it a try next tume. Sometimes you just gotta do it... and then tell us what you did. If you screw up, it doesn't matter!

Sour cream is great. My grandmother taught me nearly 40 years ago to add a spoonful of sour cream to hamburger meat to make them juicy. I would not hesitate to mix it in with a fattie. I'm not sure exactly what you're going for though. You're not going to make anyone sick, but I don't see you getting a baked-potato effect. Give it a shot and see though.

Back