Cooler for a whole hog?

jeffshoaf

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Jeff
A question for you experienced whole hog folks...

What size cooler will hold a whole butchered 35 - 40 lb pig before cooking? Looking for something to transport the pig from the meat shop to home and then to hold overnight after dry brining. It'll probably be January or February before I need it but wanted to keep an eye out for a used one or a good black Friday sale.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I've had a 42 lber fit in a cheap Walmart Coleman 60qt cooler.

Cb3VFGMh.jpg

lQXuDa6h.jpg

Friend did pig roasts ever summer. Was busy at work and called me to pick up the pig one time.

Slaughterhouse was a few miles away. Pretty disgusting old place (flies everywhere) that has since been torn down. Backed my brand new '84 Z-28 up to one of the doors and a couple guys plopped a plastic-wrapped 110-120# pig through the back hatch, hooves up.

Got sorta funny when on the freeway for the 4-5 mile drive to his exit. People saw the hooves and were honking and giving thumbs up.

Drove into friend's backyard. Wrestled the pig into a shed. Packed many small ice bags from his chest freezer under and around it. Didn't hit the fire for another 5-6 hours.

Friend did pig roasts ever summer. Was busy at work and called me to pick up the pig one time.

Slaughterhouse was a few miles away. Pretty disgusting old place (flies everywhere) that has since been torn down. Backed my brand new '84 Z-28 up to one of the doors and a couple guys plopped a plastic-wrapped 110-120# pig through the back hatch, hooves up.

Got sorta funny when on the freeway for the 4-5 mile drive to his exit. People saw the hooves and were honking and giving thumbs up.

Drove into friend's backyard. Wrestled the pig into a shed. Packed many small ice bags from his chest freezer under and around it. Didn't hit the fire for another 5-6 hours.

Yeah, I think he'd be fine on the ride home but the overnight hold is a concern. If I didn't wanna do the dry brine, I'd just pick him up the day of (or ask my brother to pick him up on his way to my house), but I really wanna do the dry brine.

Back