Spicewine and wood Pellets

BBQ_MAFIA

somebody shut me the fark up.
Have any of you used wood pellets instead of chunks with your Spicewine?

Would they work with the charcoal?
Would the flavor be the same as using chunks?

I'm not able to get cherry chunks to easy but cherry pellets seem to be fairly easy to get and the price doesn't seem to be bad.

What do you guys think?

Jay, what are your thoughts?

not sure if pellets would work or not but I think if you order a one or two 10 lb bags of cherry chunks from Jay or elsewhere, it should last you quite a # of cooks at a fairly reasonable cost.

Have any of you used wood pellets instead of chunks with your Spicewine?

Would they work with the charcoal?
Would the flavor be the same as using chunks?

I'm not able to get cherry chunks to easy but cherry pellets seem to be fairly easy to get and the price doesn't seem to be bad.

What do you guys think?

Jay, what are your thoughts?

Without ever trying this I will venture a guess that you will be sitting there tossing pellets on the fire quite often to get smoke on your food. There are lots of sources for cherry chunks on the net. Michele and I just got some delivered from an ebay purchase we made. We got 10 Lbs for $5.00 and they were debarked. We were the only bidders. Shipping was $8.50.

You can also try one of those cast iron pellet pots that bbq'rs delight sells, or the logs that Candy makes. I bet one or two of those would last a long time in a SpiceBox. I think the pellets would as well, but I don't know how much flavor you would get. Worth trying though, maybe....

Pellets burn very easily. Unless you can control the air in your pit, I think you'd have a hard time keeping the temp down. All depends on how drafty your pit is, IMHO.

I tried it in the burn I did in the UDS. Put the pellets in foil with holes, they did not burn very well, they ususally need a moving air source to combust well!

002-4.jpg

Back