Brisket on Traeger Timberline Questions

rolandj

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
I am going to attempt my first brisket this weekend. I purchased a Timberline 1300 a few weeks back and have done ribs and chicken with much success so far. I have watched a few videos and read lots on smoking a brisket and have a few questions.

To start i have read the thread about the Timberline problems with the Super Smoke function. I want to cook the brisket slow. I was thinking 225. Should i use Super Smoke, or leave it off? I have noticed a small bit of black soot on the grates when i cooked the chicken. I had used super smoke for it.
I just dont want to smoke this thing for 12 hours and end up having it covered in black soot and make it taste off. Will i still get lots of smoke if i leave the Super Smoke off?

My plan so far it to trim and season Saturday morning and let it chill in the fridge for the day. Then shortly before bed, get it on the Traeger. Wrap at 160 and continue cooking until it probes like butter.
I was reading last night that i should vent it after. I am assuming i can set it on the counter half unwrapped until it has cooled for about 20 minutes and then into a cooler with towels for a few hours.
If it ends up being done earlier than expected, whats the best way to keep it warm without drying it out?

Also is there any problem with cooking it at 200 for the night in case it cooks faster than expected. Then turning it up in the morning when i can babysit it?

I had the timberline... I stopped using super smoke; just start at 180-200 for a few hrs (2-4) then bump to your desired temp...(225 250 etc). Gets smoke laid on without the sooting of super smoke. Works great for brisket and butts etc

My plan so far it to trim and season Saturday morning and let it chill in the fridge for the day. Then shortly before bed, get it on the Traeger. Wrap at 160 and continue cooking until it probes like butter.
I was reading last night that i should vent it after. I am assuming i can set it on the counter half unwrapped until it has cooled for about 20 minutes and then into a cooler with towels for a few hours.
If it ends up being done earlier than expected, whats the best way to keep it warm without drying it out?

Also is there any problem with cooking it at 200 for the night in case it cooks faster than expected. Then turning it up in the morning when i can babysit it?

Can't comment on the Timberline, I have a regular Traeger.

Your plan sounds good, start it at 225 and check in the morning.
Are you wrapping in foil or BP? I prefer BP.
When probe tender, let it cool down a bit, 20-30mins should do.
I always let mine rest in the oven at 140F for several hours (4-5H isn't a problem). You can also put it in a cooler and fill that with towels, it should keep the temp for several hours.

Here's a recent thread where I did a brisket on my Traeger, 225F until I wrapped it, then turned up to 300F.

Back