Timing on pellet smoker

chefpyro116

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a question about timing for my pellet smoker. I currently have a Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone and cooked a 7.5# pork butt yesterday. It took longer than I thought it would. I started it at 8 am at 275 F and by 5pm it was only at 174F. When I’ve done them on my WSM it didn’t take as long. I wrapped it at 152 F in butcher paper. I’m wondering if I didn’t estimate the the time right or do pellet smokers need more time than charcoal fired WSM.
Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks and cheers!
Jeremy
SE Michigan

Probably the pork butt was being stubborn 275 degrees on a pellet grill and 275 on a Weber kettle is the same 275 degrees is 275 degrees no matter what you cook it on I think

Direct heat vs indirect?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think it might be more about the smoker design than it is about the fuel. My FEC-100 pellet smoker actually cooks faster. Part of it may be a little convection from the fan, but I think it is mostly due to the more humid environment.

What did you use to measure the 275* pit temp?
I kept the PID controller at 275. IDK what the actual pit temp was inside. I guessing pretty close.

It was indirectly smoked and wrapped in butcher paper at 154F. Hope this didn't throw off my timing.

Without knowing anything else - the meat drives the cook. Perhaps you had an overly ornery butt.

I also have a GMGDB...you'd be surprised how off the grate temp can be...especially depending on what firmware you're running.

Get a couple tru temp oven therms at minimum.

I also have a GMGDB...you'd be surprised how off the grate temp can be...especially depending on what firmware you're running.

Get a couple tru temp oven therms at minimum.

Agree, my guess is that you weren't cooking at the temp you thought you were, and thus the cook time discrepancy.

Being sure of your temp is step 1- make sure it's a "real 275*".

step 2 is bumping to 300*

I hit 275* just on the way up :grin:

Back