Mexican Mac & Cheese

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
There's a special "Noodles from Around the World" Throwdown this month so some mac & cheese on the BGEs was in order. I adapted a recipe for Mexican Mac from a restaurant called Homeroom based in Oakland, CA that specializes in Mac & Cheese.

I had some heat left after cooking dinner the night before on our large Egg so I cooked up some mexican chorizo in a skillet:
f2VYQlw.jpg

The next day I continued the cook starting with the excitement of putting elbows into boiling water (ok, not so exciting to look at :grin:) in the small Egg. Finished cooking the noodles and drained/rinsed with cold water without incident.
OcBVEO9.jpg

Then I got to work on the bechamel by melting butter:
Okp2YB4.jpg

Adding flour, determined I needed a some direct heat and removed the stone deflector. Poured in warmed milk and whisked for a few minutes and then added a little salt:
Y9LXnq6.jpg

ubQiIBo.jpg

Then grated pepper jack cheese followed by some chopped chipotles with adobo sauce and cooked chorizo:
oMctPBX.jpg

rtW6rcg.jpg

Added the pasta, stirred, and cooked for a few minutes:
wcoUQDR.jpg

nyCcOp7.jpg

iYnqr8L.jpg

Served with some pico de gallo and some lime wedges:
y6UjF0R.jpg

Mrs R2 and I have a fairly low tolerance for spicy foods so this was pushing our limits for spiciness but it was delicious.

Thanks for looking!

Looks great & if it wasn’t soooo damn windy I probably could have smelled it cooking :) cheers!

That looks unique and worth stealing for myself. Very nice!

I really have to stop reading these before bed. John, that looks ridiculously tasty. Well done.

Back