Temp Prob.

trance309

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a question on wrapping my smoker with a welders blanket to help keep heat in. What kind of welders blanket is recommended? How high of a heat rating is suggested 800 - 1200 - 3000? I have a brinkman smokin pit that i am modding ( don't really have the money for a better smoker right now). I was told that wrapping with a welders blanket will help keep the temp up during the winter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ty

Ty,
Haven't done it myself but have read hot water heater insulated covers work well too and are less expensive. You can cut it to fit your cooker.

the blanket should only cover your cooking chamber, not the fire box.

I used to use a moving blanket on mine years ago when they first came out. I kept the blanket away from the fire box.

The 800° heat rating would be good if you are using controlled charcoal for the heat.

Is it an ECB or an offset? if you have an ECB get a 55 gal drum and cut the heads out and slip it over the pit I used to do that in N WY when I Cowboyed up there in the winter ECB thought it was in Miami when it was -20 with a 30 MPH wind.
if its an offset a doubled up movers blanket from Harbor Junk will fit your pistol.

Thank you all, i think i am going to give up on this offset and start building a UDS.

Back