Ok I am at the Mexican Grocery Store...

Ashmont

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
You know the one that Wampus likes with the not very hot peppers! He raves about all the time. Well I have to load up for my next caper of course:becky: Well I go by the meat counter 2 thing caught my eye the first was Fresh Chorizo Sausage .99 lb. So I got 5lbs. Then there was this cut I have never see before that looked like a 1/2 " huge steak. I tried to ask but the language barrier got me cornfused. I am thinking it was sliced shoulder. anybody know what this cut is?

Thx

might have been - the Mexican grocery near my house in Maryland does a great job in keeping big chunks of meat around for all the celebrations and picnics. Might have been a shoulder, or a loin. There was a Salvadoran grocery near my old place in VA that had a whole bunch of marinated meats all the time. I got a couple of flank steaks from there that were *amazing* and loaded with flavor for about 60% of the cost of flank steak from the traditional grocery.

If you have a camera phone, take some pics!

To say how big it it I don't think laying it flat on my 18.5 WSM that it would fit.

Chuck/Chuch arm steaks are usually pretty big. Can be almost a foot long and 9-10" in width. Sometimes they are called 7 bone steaks.
Did they look like these?
http://www.recipetips.com/glossary-term/t--37447/7bone-steak-beef.asp
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0oG7k4jsq1N6HgAWgpXNyoA?ei=UTF-8&p=chuck%20steak&vm=r&fr2=tab-web&fr=yfp-t-701

They are great eating. Great beef flavor. Take marinades very well and best when cooked to rare. Just enough to warm em through and put some grill marks on em.
Bob

Burro meat. j/k. Without seeing the cut I could not say but often times mexican stores have big shoulder and roast cuts for braising then shredding into tacos. Move a little further down the meat display and feast your eyes on some tripas! Get the fryer hot and fry them up, thats good eats.

Chuck/Chuch arm steaks are usually pretty big. Can be almost a foot long and 9-10" in width. Sometimes they are called 7 bone steaks.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...8&p=chuck steak&vm=r&fr2=tab-web&fr=yfp-t-701

They are great eating. Great beef flavor. Take marinades very well and best when cooked to rare. Just enough to warm em through and put some grill marks on em.
Bob

We get 7 bone here sometimes but they are always sliced real thin, I've never seen them that thick. We just braise a whole package of them in beer and oinions for tacos.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...8&p=chuck steak&vm=r&fr2=tab-web&fr=yfp-t-701

Bob

That what he was saying 7 bone! Like Jive said these were cut real thin.... So what would I do with them?

That what he was saying 7 bone! Like Jive said these were cut real thin.... So what would I do with them?

Farkin COOK em!!!!
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sorry....had to say it.

Cut 'em, rub 'em and braise or slow cook em I'd guess?
Sounds like a tough piece that needs some TLC....
Cross cut (like a steak) or long grain (like a flank)?

STAY AWAY FROM THE HOT PEPPERS ASHMONT!!!!!:wink:

Bob

Just looked at these links. If it's the 7-bone THAT looks like a chuck steak. I recently did one of these, but when the wife bought it....it was actually a chuck ROAST (yes...the kind you would make pot roast out of). I'm pretty sure it's from the chuck primal.

I have chuck steaks I got from my last side of beef purchase and they're the same variation I think.

If this is the case, then the meat is definitely more chewy than a typical steak. I did mine indirect, but may look into marinating, foiling and braising.

Here's how mine looked:

Seared first.....
IMG_0346.jpg

Then indirect for about 40 minutes....
IMG_0349.jpg

Do these look like what you saw?

Mine ended up very tasty, but like I said....pretty chewy. Probably better to slow 'em down, IMO.
http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/wampusbbq/Chuck Eye Steak/IMG_0349.jpg

Cut 'em, rub 'em and braise or slow cook em I'd guess?
Sounds like a tough piece that needs some TLC....
Cross cut (like a steak) or long grain (like a flank)?

They're usually cut across the shoulder through the shoulder blade but it's a big cut and goes through some other bones as well. You can grill them but they can be tough like a chuck steak or put them in an aluminum pan with beer, onions, sliced jalapenos and garlic plus salt/papper, cover with foil, and slow cook in the oven on low for a few hours. Heat up some corn tortillas and make some salsa. Don't get much better than that.

They carry a real thin cut of beef, for milanesa, which is for making chicken fried steak, but with various types of tomato based sauces. It's really good when done right. Chorizo is awesome if it's not overly greasy, either way make sure you take your anti-cholesterol meds.:p

Every Mexican meat market has their own way and recipe for marinading them. Tell em you want them "preparadas" (prepared). That means they will season and marinade em and toss em in the bag and they are good to go. Actually, they should have a big container full of ones that are already marinading along with the bins that have the chicken and beef discada/stir fry meat.
Grill em up over some hot coals. Some people like em crispy, I toss em on for a few minutes each side, then tear off pieces and toss em on a corn tort with a nice pico de gallo or better a red salsa de arbol. I find them to be less chewy, if they are grilled to med/rare. Great beef taste. Toss on some grilled long green onions. Those steaks also have a little never/tendon on em. We called it the Bubble Gum! LOL. My cousins and I would fight over those things. Chewy as hell, but fun. You will see what I mean.:heh: Get some of the flanken ribs for grilling too. Thin sliced and marinaded as well.!!! Dayuum, I'm hungry.
This is one of the best Carnicerias here in EP. They have many of the names for the different cuts in Spanish listed.
http://quinteromeat.com/Home_Page.php
Here's how I roll with em.
picture.php

Most places use a marinade that is along these lines:
http://www.claudessauces.com/p_claudes_brisket_sauce.html

A wooster/soy sauce based kinda sauce and from there they will add a seasoning that is a tenderizer based kind to help cut down the chewiness. Other places will use a citrus based marinade like OJ or lime based which does the same thing, breaks it down and tenderizes. I hesitate saying this................but most times they will use some liquid smoke as well.
My personal marinade is one can of beer, some wooster, some soy, lime juice and a few squirts of hot sauce. I'll also toss in some sliced onion, garlic, jalapeno, and cilantro. Cook the veggies in a separate grill/veggie cooker dealy like Wampus has in his pic, and then toss em on the taco when serving. I let em marinade for a few hours. The acids, etc will soften the meat nicely. Give em a try, Marty. :thumb:

Just looked at these links. If it's the 7-bone THAT looks like a chuck steak. I recently did one of these, but when the wife bought it....it was actually a chuck ROAST (yes...the kind you would make pot roast out of). I'm pretty sure it's from the chuck primal.

I have chuck steaks I got from my last side of beef purchase and they're the same variation I think.

If this is the case, then the meat is definitely more chewy than a typical steak. I did mine indirect, but may look into marinating, foiling and braising.

Here's how mine looked:

Seared first.....
IMG_0346.jpg

Then indirect for about 40 minutes....
IMG_0349.jpg

Do these look like what you saw?

Mine ended up very tasty, but like I said....pretty chewy. Probably better to slow 'em down, IMO.

I cooked up one of those on Saturday. I went indirect to get some heat and smoke on em, and then direct over the hot coals. The roast has like 4-5 different smaller muscles, the key is to slice each one separately and cut against the grain. Kinda like small individual briskets. They seem less chewy if cooked in the rare range, but I just like em rare to begin with. Very tasty. Great beef flavor. I've been hitting the leftovers since Saturday!:becky:

I cooked up one of those on Saturday. I went indirect to get some heat and smoke on em, and then direct over the hot coals. The roast has like 4-5 different smaller muscles, the key is to slice each one separately and cut against the grain. Kinda like small individual briskets. They seem less chewy if cooked in the rare range, but I just like em rare to begin with. Very tasty. Great beef flavor. I've been hitting the leftovers since Saturday!:becky:

Yeah, I found the same thing with those. THOSE were actually roasts, so they were like 2.5" thick! I, too, found it easier to eat if I cut a big piece and then cut THAT piece against the grain.

GREAT FLAVOR.

Looks like that is NOT what Ashmont found, though, right? Still from the chuck, though, just not the same cut?

Yeah, I found the same thing with those. THOSE were actually roasts, so they were like 2.5" thick! I, too, found it easier to eat if I cut a big piece and then cut THAT piece against the grain.

GREAT FLAVOR.

Looks like that is NOT what Ashmont found, though, right? Still from the chuck, though, just not the same cut?

I'm going to defer to our meat cutting experts on this one. Could it be that they are just taken from a thinner end of the cut vs. a thicker end? Marty's gonna need to get some visuals for us!:heh:

I'm going to defer to our meat cutting experts on this one. Could it be that they are just taken from a thinner end of the cut vs. a thicker end? Marty's gonna need to get some visuals for us!:heh:

I am going to see if they let me take pics of the meat counter.. Prolly next week.

Do you remember the names of the cuts? Could it have been something like "diesmillo" or "ranchera"....those are the most common cuts in the carniceria in Phoenix....ranchera is a flank steak that has been butterflyed I believe. Diesmillo I am not sure but could find out for ya.

Do you remember the names of the cuts? Could it have been something like "diesmillo" or "ranchera"....those are the most common cuts in the carniceria in Phoenix....ranchera is a flank steak that has been butterflyed I believe. Diesmillo I am not sure but could find out for ya.

No I dont remember but will get some pics soon! Oh and to make sure I add this that no Black Angus for BobbyB!

Back