Looks like we have some light snow falling here today. Will that hinder the PBC at all? It's not blizzard like conditions and it looks like we will only have a bit of a dusting, but it's still snowing nonetheless. I'm thinking that maybe I'm going to have to delay my first cook.

Hobs,

Light snow flurries here this morning as well. Cold smoking 20 lbs of bacon in the PBC this morning myself.....28 degree cold smoking at that (!) using Lumberjack Hickory pellets in the Amazen maze.

The snow itself should not effect the smoker. The colder temperatures my keep the temps inside the drum lower than during warmer weather but you can either adjust your time or open the lower vent more to keep the PBC temps up. My PBC usually runs in the 275-300 degree range in moderate weather but today that might be around 250 or so.

I would not change your plans and enjoy!

Looks like we have some light snow falling here today. Will that hinder the PBC at all? It's not blizzard like conditions and it looks like we will only have a bit of a dusting, but it's still snowing nonetheless. I'm thinking that maybe I'm going to have to delay my first cook.
Wind is more of an issue. I've cooked on my kettles in 0 deg weather with no wind, just used a little more fuel. 40 deg with a stiff wind, trouble maintaining temp. A windbreak makes all the difference.

I went forward with the cook, everything is moving along. I am using these Weber briquettes that I've heard good things about from some friends of mine and I'm definitely getting the smell of an ashtray...which I can't imagine is normal. I'm hoping that maybe as it gets cooking, it'll be less of that smell and more of that delicious smoke smell.

Was having trouble getting it up to temp when I started, I'm going to guess due to the cold weather here, so I opened the vent a bit to get the air flowing. Currently it's running at around 260 or so. Trying to get it to that 275 mark, but 260 will work alright.

It's my first cook so I this is really going to be a "hope for the best" situation.

Going with the beef short ribs today. Twenty something degrees out, slight breeze but no snow for us today.
Under the strict supervision of Olive, I Hit the ribs with some Worcestershire and SPOGOS from Oak Ridge. Also threw in a chunk of pecan into the coal basket.

Attachments

• 3BBBB409-5242-489C-A3B2-41CF0032357C.jpg
    3BBBB409-5242-489C-A3B2-41CF0032357C.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 267
  • 175870DC-C8C1-4775-8BC4-04C65B2A2783.jpg
    175870DC-C8C1-4775-8BC4-04C65B2A2783.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 268
  • 8A3CD2B7-2433-40F4-9D24-A623404BF49C.jpg
    8A3CD2B7-2433-40F4-9D24-A623404BF49C.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 264
  • FDFED14D-1DB7-481D-B6D6-475D464FCE38.jpg
    FDFED14D-1DB7-481D-B6D6-475D464FCE38.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 266
I went forward with the cook, everything is moving along. I am using these Weber briquettes that I've heard good things about from some friends of mine and I'm definitely getting the smell of an ashtray...which I can't imagine is normal. I'm hoping that maybe as it gets cooking, it'll be less of that smell and more of that delicious smoke smell.

Was having trouble getting it up to temp when I started, I'm going to guess due to the cold weather here, so I opened the vent a bit to get the air flowing. Currently it's running at around 260 or so. Trying to get it to that 275 mark, but 260 will work alright.

It's my first cook so I this is really going to be a "hope for the best" situation.

How did it go? The charcoal situation get any better? I just picked up six bags of Weber and have only used KBB so far.

How did it go? The charcoal situation get any better? I just picked up six bags of Weber and have only used KBB so far.

It wound up getting better, I think it may have been the initial light. It was also my first cook, so I may not have been used to that charcoal smell.

I am actually going to post pictures to get everyone's opinions soon. I want to embed the images in the post, and I'm not 100% sure on how to do that.

It wound up getting better, I think it may have been the initial light. It was also my first cook, so I may not have been used to that charcoal smell.

I am actually going to post pictures to get everyone's opinions soon. I want to embed the images in the post, and I'm not 100% sure on how to do that.

If you haven't already, create an account on imgur.com to host them. Then upload your pics. Then copy the direct link and paste it into here. To do that, just click the little picture icon above ("insert image") and paste the link. Voila!

Hobs - once you figure out how to get your vent set for cold weather, the PBC will be fine. You may burn charcoal faster. The difference is a couple hours. In the future - if you run out, just finish it in the oven.

I haven't posted for a while, but I haven't stopped cooking either. I have a rack of spares and some wings on my junior. It is overcast and in the mid-20s this afternoon and the PBJ is holding steady around 230 with kingsford briquettes and some Cherry wood.

Attachments

• PSX_20190115_164943.jpg
    PSX_20190115_164943.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 195
  • PSX_20190115_190935.jpg
    PSX_20190115_190935.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 187
  • 20190115_175633.jpg
    20190115_175633.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Sorry. Learning how to post pics..Ok, My butter-Bath Chicken laying it down tonight.

picture.php

Last edited:
Guys, on a side note, how do I use Imgur or even google photos to share pics in a post and not some stupid link. I'm sorry, I hate being a newbie. I love this thread and I plan to seriously start smoking/grilling. I'm a disabled Vet and I have too much time on my hands...

I haven't posted for a while, but I haven't stopped cooking either. I have a rack of spares and some wings on my junior. It is overcast and in the mid-20s this afternoon and the PBJ is holding steady around 230 with kingsford briquettes and some Cherry wood.

ribs and wings...my favorite combo!! Looks delicious nice job. any tricks to get it steady at 230....or normal load of charcoal etc. and the outside temps just keep temps down?

ribs and wings...my favorite combo!! Looks delicious nice job. any tricks to get it steady at 230....or normal load of charcoal etc. and the outside temps just keep temps down?

It was a normal load of charcoal, with the intake vent about 25% open, the same as I have it set up for during the Summer. On warmer days, mine runs about 275. With the cooler air and light snow, it stayed right around 230 for the duration of the cook. Everything turned out great.

Back