otterpop's 50th b-day smoked ribs & wings

otterpop

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I made the half-century mark last weekend, and fired up the UDS for only the 4th time. Think I'm getting the hang of it. Rubbed the ribs with Island Seasonings, and made some BBQ sauce from Rombauer and Becker's classic "Joy of Cooking" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Joy_of_Cooking. Cooked the ribs 3.5 hours at just under 200°, enjoyed an afternoon martini, then added the wings for the last hour, and the sauce brushed on 15 minutes before taking them off the UDS.

My wife took the pics, we had a great day and an awesome meal in the evening. :cool:

Attachments

• ash flies on hot coal placing.jpg
    ash flies on hot coal placing.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 154
  • ready to smoke.jpg
    ready to smoke.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 155
  • reducing airflow.jpg
    reducing airflow.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 154
  • perfect temp locked in.jpg
    perfect temp locked in.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 155
  • Chillaxin'.jpg
    Chillaxin'.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 155
  • ready to serve.jpg
    ready to serve.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 155
Happy B-Day and thanks for the show!

Congrats and looks good! Tasty food always helps smooth out that rough Hawaiian lifestyle. :-D

Congrats on the half century mark :thumb:, but man am I jealous, Q, sun, shorts, and a martini, how I am looking forward to the return of summer :becky:.

Ho brah! Nice Rack! Sorry I missed your cattle call, and didn't welcome you earlier! Yeah this place rocks, and you will learn a lot. Good to see somoneone else from Hawaii!
Isn't there a Q shack in Kailua?

Aloha's

Happy Birthday! Looks like a great way to spend the day. :-D

Happy Birthday and welcome to the Brethren. You sure know how to make people envious wearing shorts, cooking and drinking a Martini.

otterpop's 50th b-day UDS pork ribs n wings

Thanks all!

@Keale, yeah "The Shack" is here in Kailua...

Before cooking, we went for a long whale-watching paddle on our one-man outrigger canoes.
480_paddle_to_bird.jpg

480_ribs_n_wings_ready.JPG

Yum, it was really tasty, and the few leftovers were just as good if not better the next day.
Thanks to all you brethren who've shown me how to cobble the UDS together and make some truly delicious food, with a completely different result than I could get from my OTS.

Aloha!

Last edited:
Don't do this Brother...you know what I mean!
You're lucky that I'm a good guy and it's your BirthDay!:wink:

Back