Votes: 15 21.1%

• Total voters

River City Smokehouse

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Which is it?

BayouHeatChicken003w.jpg

BayouHeatChicken002w.jpg

Might get you a DQ.:biggrin: How's the skin?

Looks great - will of course need a sample....

Doesn't look like it was fried, but it does look really really good.

Just like taking judges from thighs only mind set, I believe this is in the future. If you do it, make sure the Reps know what you are doing.

I was just playing around today. These were done in my FEC 750 at 300*F for 1.5 hrs. I used a wing coating (no corn starch). This stuff is lethal. My wife wanted to beat me! She hit the milk ASAP! She thought it looked pretty harmless I guess:biggrin:. Cayenne pepper disguised as a chicken leg.

So what is your secret for the bite through skin?
No secret...I soaked the legs in water for about 30 minutes, then rolled them in the coating. In a preheated pit at 300* for 1 1/2 hrs. I sprayed the legs with Crisco Canola Spray and they came out better than I ever thought. I usually do my thighs at 325*, so there must not be much of a difference in 25*.

Looks very good.........looks fried....but looks can be deceiving .

Fried or Q'ed I don't care.
I'll take a dozen!
Looked great!

You've got some good looking legs there. :roll:

Just like taking judges from thighs only mind set, I believe this is in the future. If you do it, make sure the Reps know what you are doing.

How would legs do in a competition?
This may be a rookie question, but why would you need to check with the reps first?

Oddly enough, When it comes to smoked chicken, I'm not crazy about the breasts.

That is odd. :wink:
Especially considering how i usually love breasts. :rolleyes:

That really is some good looking chicken though. I'm going to have to try that soon. Never done a dry finish on chicken before.

You've got some good looking legs there. :roll:
How would legs do in a competition?
This may be a rookie question, but why would you need to check with the reps first?

Well, according to the KCBS rules, once the meat is checked in and verified that it has been saved in a safe manner . . . the cook can do anything they want to the meat.

Short answer is: a person would NOT need to check with the reps first.

Now, if the competition is being judged against another set of rules, the answer could be different.

if you do this at a competition, cover your butt..

YOU MUST LET THE REP KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING. !!!!

He will need to cover your arse when/if the table captain or judges try to DQ you.. the rep can then clarify things..
one of our teams used a similar technique and was unjustifiably DQ'ed.

Read this one carefully.. and then send a PM to Sawdustguy for more details.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19279&highlight=DQ%27ed+chicken

Read this one carefully.. and then send a PM to Sawdustguy for more details.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19279&highlight=DQ%27ed+chicken

At this link we read "We were disqualified (given 1's in appearance) by the judges because it was deemed that these results must have been achieved by means other than BBQ."

This is a presumption.

At the judging class I attended, it was reinforced time and again that the cook has complete control over what they turn in. It matters not if the meat was cooked in 30 seconds or whatever. There ARE conditions to judge on appearance, but cooking method is NOT one of them. HOW a meat is cooked cannot be determined by the judges. Therefore, it's a moot point to ask how it was cooked. If it looks unusual, it most likely won't score high.

(How do you think the MoKanMeatHeads 'Turbo Brisket' ever came into being? THAT's not BBQ . . .)

But because of the rules laid down by the KCBS we know that we can judge North Carolina BBQ against Phoenix BBQ against what ever . . . and we will judge it fairly.

At NO point were we EVER coached to judge whether or not the cooking method used was 'Low n Slow BBQ' or anything else at all. We were coached to search for what is RIGHT with the samples.

I hope this helps.

Back