Request input -Trailer layout

BBQ Bandit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Been thinking on a practical solution in a trailer layout.

Realizing it will be a work in progress... starting as a transport
trailer first... then will eventually have A/C and electric with
hot water (final phase).

Have two objectives:
1. To reduce the number of trips in the process of emptying the trailer.
2. Determine a balanced physical location of the Lang 48.

First notion... place everything on wheels and roll out in short order.

Acquired (3) covered laundry carts on casters... with 3 shelves each.
(#1) fuel supply (wood/charcoal/lump/chimney/weedburner)
(#2) portable furnishings (EZ-ups/chairs/gas stove/air mattress)
(#3) Kitchen (utensils/dry goods)

Three trips... empties 1/3 of the trailer

picture.php

Have (2) carts in the very front of the trailer, and the third behind the first two (sideways). Then the cooker is loaded in with the casters facing forward, and the firebox facing the rear doors. (Loaded with a ratcheting winch up a ramp - one handed). The location of the rear tires (firebox) is oriented exactly center and above the trailer tandem axles and the front of the Lang is up against the carts.

picture.php

The remaining spaces are for the tables (along the right hand side) and the coolers and cambros right behind the double doors.

Going back to the checklists....

edit: trailer - 7ft X 16 ft X 8 ft ht.

Last edited:
Build in storage, put fridge up at fron and the lang can go back a bit. Shelving down left side - get wire racks and Lowes 18" wide x4 feet. Fold down table on right side (from back) Can put sinks in on left or front. Need power. Can't do a roof AC unless the roof was built for the weight. Leave charcoal on rack to roll out. Add power and lighting but for now run in extension cord and limit use. Mount some type of lighting.

First of all, I am damn jealous of all the space you have...

I also agree with Ford but my priority list may not be the same as his or yours...

Build in storage, put fridge up at Front and the Lang can go back a bit. Shelving down left side - get wire racks and Lowes 18" wide x4 feet.
While I agree with Ford that built in storage is nice, until you are sure of what you need it's tough to pull that trigger... I like the idea of your roll off laundry racks and with the space you have, you could almost leave them inside... (I would consider this a medium priority)

Fold down table on right side (from back) Can put sinks in on left or front.
Again, I would take this in stages (low priority)

Add power and lighting but for now run in extension cord and limit use. Mount some type of lighting.
I agree and in fact this would be my first priority... for lighting, I actually found that 'Track' style lighting worked best for me... I put them at the top of both side walls and have them wired to switches. I like the fact that I can take down the lights for transport and set them up based on what ever comes up... (High Priority)

Can't do a roof AC unless the roof was built for the weight.
It looks like his may already have the support needed, but I would double check with a pro.... (this would be low on my list...)

We just went through this process over the winter. Bobby did a great job planning it all out ahead of time.

First plan your final layout.
Install the wiring
finish the walls, ceiling and floor

it is so much nicer to have this done before installing anything inside, saves you from having to take stuff back out to do it right

We made sure to put the heaviest fixed item (the 3 bay sink) over the wheel well and have kitchen cabinets with a stainless top over the other wheel well - probably the next heaviest fixed item.

One thing I wish I had done was running wiring down the internal wall to where I plan on adding the hot water heater and pump. And another line down a wall for an external plug in for lights, pellet power, etc. All our power is at the very top of the sidewalls - which works fine for everything else - jbut I do have a 6' extension cord just in case.

Since towing the trailer the first time, I've moved the location of where I strap the BWS. Originally I had it against the passenger side wall behind the wheel well. But after surviving the trailer being whipped from side to side as I was passed by semis on each side at the same time (feeling like Steve Martin in Planes, Trains and Autos) while on on the way to a comp, I laid the Backwoods down over the wheel well on the way home and that made a huge difference. Now I strap it down in the front 1/3'd of the trailer centered from left to right and the trailer pulls just as good as it did home that day.

I think I'm reading that your trailer is 8 feet high - surely that's not interior height is it? If so, wow - lots of shelving room!

Try to keep all the shelves and other materials as light as possible, they add up. My FRP walls and trim work adds up to about 400 lbs inself.

If you want to see pics of our trailer set up, I have pics on our website - see signature

Last edited:
Yep, make sure the hevieast weight is over the axles or in front of them. Or is will wag down the road.

The roof can be reinforced with a few cross members welded in between the roof frame. My a/c lays across 3 of the roof frames.

Back