Roast Leg of Lamb (pron)

M

MayDay

Roast Leg of Lamb on the COBB (pron)

Humpty, the Copper Cooker Kamado/BGE is out of commission due to repairs, so the COBB was fired up for the Canada Day dinner. The Cobb is a portable charcoal grill, baker, smoker, etc. that weighs 8.5 lbs soaking wet.
Cobb-with-Food.jpg

The Canada Day dinner was roast leg of lamb. 3 lbs. Coated with pureed garlic, ginger, ground rosemary and cracked pepper. Seared on high heat at about 350F, then choked the temperature down by covering up the air holes. 3 hours total. Mint in water moat. Pulled at 71C / 146F for medium-rare.
i19922869-0F36-4ABA-B2D4-9ADB915533AD.jpg

Turned out very moist.
i92D07D1B-4306-4E4E-BF23-A78A6D48A2DF.jpg

Add a little bit of gravy....
i9AC285D7-945D-44CC-B5C4-970D4DD922B4.jpg

Served with fresh sweet corn, rice and salad. Red wine to start, apple wine to finish (both home made). Dessert was blueberry flambe.

Hope your July 1st was just as nice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooooo... I love Lamb but I'm the only one in the family who does, so I rarely cook it.

How do you like the portable grill?

The Cobb is like a Mini Kamado / Egg

Ooooo... I love Lamb but I'm the only one in the family who does, so I rarely cook it.

How do you like the portable grill?

Ron, Ya gotta treat yourself too!

Love the portable grill. Only it's not that portable at 12.5" round and 12.5" high. But it is still quite compact compared to some of the other Q-toys out there. Also very light at 8.5lb. You CAN safely and easily pick it up while it's cooking.

Been using it for quick cooks on the deck and hauling it up the mountains for fresh air BBQs. :biggrin:

Great for fatty foods like duck - always collects ~2 cups of oil in the moat every time (5lb duck). The grill plate channels grease OFF the coals into the moat, so there's very little ash-up and NO grease fires! :-D

The great thing is that the COBB is super efficient. You CAN cook a whole meal with as few as 6 briquettes! Been using the NAM-CHAR briquettes, which seem to burn hotter, longer and cleaner.
briquettes4kg_l.jpg

The lamb was a a 5-lb leg, so the butcher cut it so that the roast could fit the Cobb. Froze the shank for later and roasted the thigh.

Having recently cooked on a Kamado/BGE, the Cobb was similarly decked out with a remote digital thermometer in the dome and a second probe in the meat. The use of the dome thermometer was key in helping control the cooking conditions. Mint leaves in water in the moat kept the meat moist.

Everything turned out well!!! :-D:-D:-D

Back