A Real Tough Chew

T

The Pickled Pig

A Tough Chew...Beef Jerky

I had a craving for some good old fashioned beef jerky so I started with 26 lbs. of brisket flats from Costco...

1.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, that's a lot of cow candy.

Would you share more details on the process, please!

Thats alot of Jerky, how long will that last you, or are you selling it giving some away?

Brisket jerky??? Detail's please.

That look's great!

What do you think of those seasonings?

I would imagine you trimmed that brisket quite a bit. That must have been a job in itself. I try to use london broil when it is on sale...which hasn't been lately. It is pretty lean. I would like to check out those seasonings if you recommend them.

I've used them Tony. Always had good results. The Mandarin teriyaki is the favorite around here.

I've been using the Hi Mountain jerky cures the last few months and really like them. My favorite is the one called Inferno.

I have never tried brisket before... is it tender enough??? I usually use eye of the round which Winn Dixie runs on sale about once a month.

I've been using the Hi Mountain jerky cures the last few months and really like them. My favorite is the one called Inferno.

I have never tried brisket before... is it tender enough??? I usually use eye of the round which Winn Dixie runs on sale about once a month.

some type of round is what I usually use too. You have to be careful about too much fat. The fat will go rancid even though it is cured especially if you put it in a zip lock bag or some type of container with no air movement.

Gotta love that Cow Candy!!! Looks great, I'm going to have to try it!!!

OMG...they look terrific!!! please share how it was done! Scott

First, I trimmed the crap out of the brisket flats. Although they each started at 6.5 pounds, the most one weighed after trimming was 4.5 pounds. You want as little fat as possible for jerky. Pieces with high fat content will spoil quickly unless frozen.

Next, I cured them in the Hi Mountain seasonings for 36 hours. The directions only call for 24 hours but my timing resulted in a 36 hour cure.

I dried some of them entriely on the dehydrator, and some I smoked at 140F for 5 hours and then finished on the dehydrator. Truth be told, I favor the jerky done entirely on the dehydrator.

The finished product is very good and very tasty. It's still tender but very chewy (meat cut with the grain). I ended up vacuum freezing about half and am bringing a gallon Zip-Loc to work each day this week to share the goodies. It's been fun to see some people that hit that jerky 4 or 5+ times a day. Some of those folks don't get into BBQ but they love beef jerky.

So it was on a dehydrator. I've got to get me one. guess i'll have to start researching. Scott

Back