7 hours for baby back ribs?

f308gt4

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
That's what it took yesterday. At ~225 grill temp (measured by Maverick ET732) on my large BGE. Put in 2 racks at 9:30AM, finally took them out at 4:30 PM. No foil, basically left them alone- the only time I opened up the egg was at about 1PM to put in a pan of baked beans. Then hourly beginning at 2:30 to check for doneness.

They were damn good however. Maybe the best ribs I've made. (Sorry, no pics). Tender, juicy. Family scarfed them right up.

It seems to me that when I do low and slow on the egg, my stuff seems to take a long time, longer than what you typically see on this forum (I've heard 7 hours for spares, but babybacks??). I am going by the temp on the grate, not by the dome temp. Maybe it's just the way it is on my setup?

Maybe next time try a higher temp for faster results?

What do you think?

Thanks!

Id check grate temp gage. Could they have been frozen some?

I have had the extra meaty baby backs go that long, they just sometimes take a little longer. Of course, that is true for all meat cuts, there is the occasional stubborn hunk of meat.

Yes, they were from costco, and pretty meaty. Maybe that's what it is, although in general, it does seem that stuff takes longer on my BGE than what I tend to see posted.

My ET732 reads correctly in Boiling water, and is at grate level with the meat.

Back