Gateway with Ribolator

Constant rotation instead of an end of the ribs charring more than the middle or other end. Also, basting themselves.

That's what I am hoping for anyways. Also, I mainly want to try it on chicken thighs, wings, etc.

I have been hanging ribs in my Hunsaker drums for 3 or 4 years and never have an issue with charring or uneven cooking. I can see where a rotisserie would work as well, but haven’t felt the need to modify a drum to try it out.

I haven't seen any competitors hanging ribs at comps either.

Lots of drum cooks hang ribs for competitions until it is time to foil Unless you’re around when they are putting them in the drum, or taking out to foil you may never know. Once foiled they go flat on the grate.

I have been hanging ribs in my Hunsaker drums for 3 or 4 years and never have an issue with charring or uneven cooking. I can see where a rotisserie would work as well, but haven’t felt the need to modify a drum to try it out.

Lots of drum cooks hang ribs for competitions until it is time to foil Unless you’re around when they are putting them in the drum, or taking out to foil you may never know. Once foiled they go flat on the grate.

Do you know what the problem with this thread was? The problem was the original moderator didn't do the right thing, That's what happened. It took me all of 5 seconds to find out that the so called "Judge" throwing his weight around was 10000% wrong about his "Facts". But only now, after a new member was banned at the frustration of dealing with a so called expert, who obviously isn't one, does any moderator decided to slam the "Judge" with the simple truth that anyone can look up.

The problem was that the moderator "Bob" decided to ONLY direct his "Warning" at the guy who was completely frustrated with dealing with a pretend expert spouting out the most asinine statements possible in record time and no one confronting them on it.

1. Hanging ribs IS a competition technique and it takes 2 seconds to find this out.

2. Many teams use this technique and it takes 2 seconds to find this out

3. if this isn't working for you then you are doing other things wrong.

These are the facts. But the so called "Judge" who is implying that he is an expert on ribs was wrong on every one of these points. Not only that, his claim that "The best ribs I cook are on the rotisserie" only highlights that he must obviously not know what he is doing when hanging ribs.

I know what you are thinking. You are sitting there "Bob" and the rest of you saying, "It doesn't matter how the new member was set off, he acted inappropriately". Well that's true. But the problem that you don't see is that he was NOT the first person to act inappropriately. He was responding to the asinine actions of others who were acting wrongly FIRST.

But this is the part that you are completely blind too, I so I will have to explain it.

1. The new member understood right off the bat that there was a problem. He knew that the problem was that the poster asking about the rotisserie was most likely doing something wrong. He understood that if he hacked up his smoker to jerry rig this rotisserie to it then he would most likely regret that decision. The OP even stated that he "didn't want to drill holes in his smoker". So the new member asked the correct question, "Why do you want to use a rotisserie over hanging ribs"?

But before he could have a proper conversation with the member who stated that he is having problems with burned ends on hanged ribs, the so called "expert judge" chimed in with every wrong statement about this problem that you could state. This completely set off the new member who obviously knew more about this than the so called expert judge did.

This is where things went wrong and this is where the moderator "Bob' only made it worse by doing the WRONG thing. Instead of correcting the so called expert judge who doesn't know what he was talking about, he only pointed his "Warning" at the new member who was frustrated with dealing with a bunch of false information spouted from someone implying that they were an expert.

1. Bob should not be a moderator. Period. If he cannot understand the situation and (as the new member said) only directs his warning at one party then he is abusing that power and is obviously not the kind of person who should have it. Lets not even mention that he is breaking the rules by bumping his own warning topics. Apparently he doesn't know what a sticky is. But this is just very strongly worded here towards Bob so that he and others understand the he indeed was wrong and is the one who completely set off the new member in his is one sided, blind, "warning" at the party who didn't start this issue at all.

2. The site administrator could have fixed this or any other mod, but apparently they were completely blind to what was going on here as well.

Conclusion" You need to contact that new member back and un-ban him. It was everyone else here being wrong and completely ignorant and blind about it that would have set off anyone who knows what they are talking about. Is this how you run things? All you are doing is protecting frauds and running off people who know what they are doing. Obviously it's you moderators and admins who don't know what you are doing. This is why this forum is completely overrun with people who are claiming to be experts and spouting off the most garbage statements and getting away with it. Obviously anyone with a brain is going to leave under these conditions. I hope that you learn from this and start learning what moderation should be.

What "Should" Bob and any other moderator or even site member have done?

1. You don't start off warning one side only.

You instead correct every problem you see. But you do it privately. Bob instead did it one sided and publicly. He was wrong in every way about handling this.

2. You correct publicly the one spouting off the wrong info with implied credentials.

One mod did this at the end, after the fact, and too late to help.

3. You refocus the thread back on topic by addressing the problems the OP had with hanging meat.

You instead, let the so called expert judge derail the thread entirely. You still have not said anything about this derailment that he did. He was allowed to turn the conversation into a pissing contest by spouting off his credentials as backing his wrong info. But no one called him on the derailment and the logical fallacy of his statement.

Last edited:
Do you know what the problem with this thread was? The problem was the original moderator didn't do the right thing, That's what happened. It took me all of 5 seconds to find out that the so called "Judge" throwing his weight around was 10000% wrong about his "Facts". But only now, after a new member was banned at the frustration of dealing with a so called expert, who obviously isn't one, does any moderator decided to slam the "Judge" with the simple truth that anyone can look up.

The problem was that the moderator "Bob" decided to ONLY direct his "Warning" at the guy who was completely frustrated with dealing with a pretend expert spouting out the most asinine statements possible in record time and no one confronting them on it.

1. Hanging ribs IS a competition technique and it takes 2 seconds to find this out.

These are the facts. But the so called "Judge" who is implying that he is an expert on ribs was wrong on every one of these points. Not only that, his claim that "The best ribs I cook are on the rotisserie" only highlights that he must obviously not know what he is doing when hanging ribs.

I know what you are thinking. You are sitting there "Bob" and the rest of you saying, "It doesn't matter how the new member was set off, he acted inappropriately". Well that's true. But the problem that you don't see is that he was NOT the first person to act inappropriately. He was responding to the asinine actions of others who were acting wrongly FIRST.

But this is the part that you are completely blind too, I so I will have to explain it.

1. The new member understood right off the bat that there was a problem. He knew that the problem was that the poster asking about the rotisserie was most likely doing something wrong. He understood that if he hacked up his smoker to jerry rig this rotisserie to it then he would most likely regret that decision. The OP even stated that he "didn't want to drill holes in his smoker". So the new member asked the correct question, "Why do you want to use a rotisserie over hanging ribs"?

But before he could have a proper conversation with the member who stated that he is having problems with burned ends on hanged ribs, the so called "expert judge" chimed in with every wrong statement about this problem that you could state. This completely set off the new member who obviously knew more about this than the so called expert judge did.

This is where things went wrong and this is where the moderator "Bob' only made it worse by doing the WRONG thing. Instead of correcting the so called expert judge who doesn't know what he was talking about, he only pointed his "Warning" at the new member who was frustrated with dealing with a bunch of false information spouted from someone implying that they were an expert.

1. Bob should not be a moderator. Period. If he cannot understand the situation and (as the new member said) only directs his warning at one party then he is abusing that power and is obviously not the kind of person who should have it. Lets not even mention that he is breaking the rules by bumping his own warning topics. Apparently he doesn't know what a sticky is. But this is just very strongly worded here towards Bob so that he and others understand the he indeed was wrong and is the one who completely set off the new member in his is one sided, blind, "warning" at the party who didn't start this issue at all.

2. The site administrator could have fixed this or any other mod, but apparently they were completely blind to what was going on here as well.

Conclusion" You need to contact that new member back and un-ban him. It was everyone else here being wrong and completely ignorant and blind about it that would have set off anyone who knows what they are talking about. Is this how you run things? All you are doing is protecting frauds and running off people who know what they are doing. Obviously it's you moderators and admins who don't know what you are doing. This is why this forum is completely overrun with people who are claiming to be experts and spouting off the most garbage statements and getting away with it. Obviously anyone with a brain is going to leave under these conditions. I hope that you learn from this and start learning what moderation should be.
Yawn. I knew it was only a matter of time before you chimed in under one of your many personas. The topic is the ribolator, not how the mods operate. Stay on topic or run along.

Rick, you’re new, so I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.

You may want to read our rules, especially this part...

[/INDENT]
A MODERATORS DECISION IS FINAL. If your moderated, live with it and move on. We live by these rules, and any moderator action is due to an infringement. We don't moderate on content, but we do enforce these rules.

• Challenging a moderator in public for their action will lock you down, all abilities to post and edit will be removed.

Rick, you’re new, so I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.

You may want to read our rules, especially this part...

And this is what is allowing bad mods to ruin this site. I said something because no one is allowed too. You are running this like a communist propaganda site. When you refuse to allow anyone to talk about things that are wrong then you are only allowing wrong actions to get worse. This needed to be talked about because this never should have happened. It happens all the time because no one is correcting the real problems here. I'm sorry that you only want to shut me up about it because that too, is only adding to the problem.

This is obviously not the place that anyone with a brain needs to be. ban me if you want. This place is dead to me and has been for a while. You and your gang of communists morons have seen to that.

The guy that was banned is NOT new.. hes been here over 3 years and knows better. The OP is a newer(2020) member and asked a legit question.
But you know what? Tough S**t hotshot.

You dont like how we moderate, move the F on.. in other word.. get out.. or better yet, i will take care of that after you get a chance to read this.
first off.. our rules state very clearly

A MODERATORS DECISION IS FINAL. If your moderated, live with it and move on. We live by these rules, and any moderator action is due to an infringement. We don't moderate on content, but we do enforce these rules.
  • Challenging a moderator in public for their action will lock you down, all abilities to post and edit will be removed
  • Whining to the admin will get you no where, so don’t bother.
  • When you are moderated for an infraction or infringement, you might receive a PM as to why. If it was a blatant infringement, it will be deleted with no notice. If not, it is acceptable to send a civil note to the moderators requesting the reason.
  • We don't sent messages for general housekeeping and scrubbing or cleanup of friendly banter or Off topic chatter. General housekeeping may be done in cold threads or threads of significant value or potential roadmapping.
When subject actions are in question the decision of the moderators and/or Site Administrator is final. Any member assuming a second identity for the sake of circumventing our rules or administrative action will be permanently banned.

If you disagree with their actions, take it private thru the Private Messaging system and keep it civil. A public display of flames, tantrums or sniping at the moderators will cause immediate ejection and banning.

you joined 19 friggin days ago, and have the balls to tell my mod team who have been running this place for 15 years how to do our jobs? WTF..

so i'll educate you before i kick your ass out.. WE DO NOT MODERATE ON CONTENT. WE MODERATE BASED ON OUR RULES. What that means is we dont interfere in the the conversations. we dont get in the middle and tell members whos wrong or right in their opinions or techniques. We let the members hash that out. A moderator will chime in as a member if they choose to join the discussion, but we are NOT going to moderate someones opinion. You are showing your ignorance by thinking that how we should operate. What we do is keep things civil and enforce rules when they are broken. We dont ram our opinions down any ones throat the way you have been doing with your other posts all over this forum.

Previously, this thread had a moderator warning in it. Once that happens, thats it. We are watching. We may give a few warnings when theres a dogpile.. but i have zero tolerance for ANYONE calling my moderators out, or attacking them personally. Bob posted a warning, and in return was called a clown, and then "mods are pussies". That was a direct cross of our rules and they were enforced..

Now for you bright eyes.. you just called us out publicly.. and think you can do a better job?? well, go start your own forum.

AS far as your "conclusion"...who the F do you think you are telling us how to run this place?...

Here.. ill answer that for you... NO ONE. you tell us we dont know what were doing??.. I'll put my 23 GCS, numerous RGCs and 15+ years of comp cooking against that comment.. but obviously YOU think your better...

Find another lawn to sh*t on. no room for your sh*t ass attitude here.

You probably just want access to the private Moderator Jet. Unfortunately I heard the Moderator Yacht sank recently in the Gulf, so that's no longer a perk of being a moderator.

I just want the ability ta suspend ya Everytime ya mention that nasty f'ing drink of yers..

-D

Guys... i apologize that this played out publicly. Believe me, theres no glory in being a mod. We deal with reports every day and do our best to decide what's fair. Sometimes the infringement is obvious and sometimes there's no rule broken but a post rubs people wrong. We have to decide specifically if a rule has been broken and sometimes the poster is just being a dumbass. We do our best.

We get hundreds of posts a day and it's impossible for us to read every one. We count on you guys to self police and report when you see a problem.

We've been successful for 17 years, so we must be doing something right. We appreciate all who come back here to keep us alive and kicking and a huge thanks to subscribers who help pay our bills.

This wasn't our first rodeo. Occasionally we get a butthead who thinks they can do better. We just address it and move on. Thanks everyone for you support and patience when we have to deal with drama and bullchit.

Back