How cold is too cold to work the coals?

T

turf

Last night it was a miserable 7 degrees here in Des Moines. I wanted to throw some chicken hind quarters on the UDS. While I was wearing gloves and a stocking cap, they turned out fantastic, the only problem was that I started the coals, set my beer down on the table and walked into the house for about 15-20 minutes. came back out to iced beer. doh!

It's NEVER too cold!

Last weekend it was below zero and I was out doing Buck Board Bacon... Tonight it's suposed to be near zero and I'll be putting on a chuck roast....

Again, It's NEVER too cold! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

well i smoked the other day w/ the pit in my trailer. outside 11f & blowing flurries
inside- a balmy 75 w/ the pit @ 225.:icon_blush:

When the fire freezes.
We not only share a birthday, but the same opinion as to when it's too cold to smoke.

Last weekend was -11 and 15-20 mph winds when I fired the Worlds Oldest WSM. And I've cooked colder than that.

The real question is "How cold is too cold to leave your beer outside?" :-D

Never, sometimes you just have to use your cooler as a warmer - for beer too.

Drink Bourbon, doesn't freeze :cool: Jim Beam mod.

Drink Bourbon, doesn't freeze :cool: Jim Beam mod.
I think I'm starting to like you...:biggrin: Yeah, there is something about drinking bourbon and smoking when it is really cold! Heck, I even use Beam in my mop...

Attachments

• Rainy night cook in May 2006 12.jpg
    Rainy night cook in May 2006 12.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 92
We not only share a birthday, but the same opinion as to when it's too cold to smoke.

Last weekend was -11 and 15-20 mph winds when I fired the Worlds Oldest WSM. And I've cooked colder than that.

The advantage of being a January baby and starting out in the cold to begin with!

Worse coming to worse, I move the smoker to the sheltered side of the house and wrap it in a hot water heater blanket. I do get some strange looks from the neighbors, though.

When the fire freezes. :biggrin:

Ditto that MAsQue, last weekend I smoked two racks of spares in the UDS and a sirloin tip roast on the Performer in single digit temps. In winter, the first place I shovel is the snow away from my grilling/smoking area then the driveway and walk.

You guys are my hero's! All I need is a few days in the cold to remind me why I live in FL. Mid 60's here today Brrrrrr.....but I'm gonna brave it and throw some Prime Rib on later this PM.

Last night it was a miserable 7 degrees here in Des Moines. I wanted to throw some chicken hind quarters on the UDS. While I was wearing gloves and a stocking cap, they turned out fantastic, the only problem was that I started the coals, set my beer down on the table and walked into the house for about 15-20 minutes. came back out to iced beer. doh!

I dont think you have a cold problem, my guess is that you have a beer problem. Bet it was a "light" beer, mostly farkin water. Extreme cold contitutes extreme measures. Get a Guinness and solve the icy problem. BRILLIANT!!!

I dont think you have a cold problem, my guess is that you have a beer problem. Bet it was a "light" beer, mostly farkin water. Extreme cold constitutes extreme measures. Get a Guinness and solve the icy problem. BRILLIANT!!!

I concur. High test beer will solve your problems. :lol: Smoke on!

Turf, my Brother, don't you know that you could be banned for such a sin? (j/k) :twisted:.

Back