The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Anybody use Hickory for a Boston Butt? I usually use Apple but I am out of pellets. I have a ton of Hickory, so guess it is Hickory. I ordered 100#’s of Apple and Hickory this week, but they have not come yet?

Anybody use Hickory for a Boston Butt? I usually use Apple but I am out of pellets. I have a ton of Hickory, so guess it is Hickory. I ordered 100#’s of Apple and Hickory this week, but they have not come yet?
Hickory will work perfectly fine.

Where do you order it from?

The Home Depot at exit 6 has trager apple pellets for about $18 for 20 lb. bags I bought my pit boss pellet smoker from the Lowe’s from rio grand and have only run the pit boss competition mix in it so far. I may get a bag of hickory from the Walmart, but I can’t find anything in that store now.

Chris

Where do you order it from?

The Home Depot at exit 6 has trager apple pellets for about $18 for 20 lb. bags I bought my pit boss pellet smoker from the Lowe’s from rio grand and have only run the pit boss competition mix in it so far. I may get a bag of hickory from the Walmart, but I can’t find anything in that store now.

Chris
Haha, I did not see this, but I ran over last night and grabbed a bag of Apple at that HD so funny you said that. I made it just in time at closing. The pellets at the Walmart Rio Grande are out the doors in the garden center. They have a ton of Pellet Grills out there also. Also the Ace in Stone Harbor has a great selection of BBQ stuff. It is all upstairs. Thx

Decided to try venison smash burgers without a griddle. About 4 minutes per side at 400....I much prefer burgers with some crust on them and direct flame action

5f223a8119e133d32bc9cc6dba305e6b.jpg

425e2f0fd9c9ad4817bc864910fc4056.jpg

8af05c8b55a031b49b33b7b527d356a9.jpg

Memphis Elite
Yoder YS640 - sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Memphis Elite

Decided to try venison smash burgers without a griddle. About 4 minutes per side at 400....I much prefer burgers with some crust on them and direct flame action

5f223a8119e133d32bc9cc6dba305e6b.jpg

425e2f0fd9c9ad4817bc864910fc4056.jpg

8af05c8b55a031b49b33b7b527d356a9.jpg

Memphis Elite
Yoder YS640 - sold

Memphis Elite

Did some myself the other night. I have been digging the BPS Cash Cow. Great stuff! I will never make another burger without this combo! Flame Zone is just incredible! Talked to the owners and employees at MAK Grills the other day and had a great talk. Went over somethings and some questions. Great company and great staff!

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_ac2.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_ac2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 343
  • fullsizeoutput_ac4.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_ac4.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 345
  • fullsizeoutput_ad2.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_ad2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Did some myself the other night. I have been digging the BPS Cash Cow. Great stuff! I will never make another burger without this combo! Flame Zone is just incredible! Talked to the owners and employees at MAK Grills the other day and had a great talk. Went over somethings and some questions. Great company and great staff!

look right tasty!

Seems like all the pellet grills are doing this now. One by one they are adding their form of searing and in direct and direct cooking. This actually looks like it is a little easier to clean.

My only gripe with the MAK 2 Star is the flamezone is pretty tough to clean. I like to clean my grill after each cook, but I know when I use the flame zone for grilling, it does get messy. However it cooks a fantastic steak and IMO does better on a burger. The last few burgers I made on the 2 star are probably the best burgers I have ever had and as I said above, that is also in part of BPS Cash Cow and Q Salt. Did a few Filets the other night and they were great.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_add.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_add.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 522
I have owned a SilverBac which I gave to my son, and now have their flagship Grilla. Awesome cookers a coworker also now owns a SilverBac and he says it’s everything that I had described. Excellent smoke output I personally think the Grilla puts more smoke on the food than the SilverBac but that could just be in my head since I’ve never done a side by side comparison.

How much food can you fit on the Grilla? Could you fit a full packer brisket on it?

How much food can you fit on the Grilla? Could you fit a full packer brisket on it?

I have previously done two racks of ribs and sides, with the 21” grate I wouldn’t see why you can’t do a full brisket.

Smoked eye of round until 120, then seared a minute or so...put him in the fridge for a few hours and used the slicer. They were dipped in au jus for a few seconds before topping with sautéed onions and provolone. Nice smoke ring and very clean smoke flavor (lumberjack mhc and cherry pellets).

fdc92352804e4b51376d2fd72b601e01.jpg

e854e4e7844b87fa25f73ac9fbed2f78.jpg

8568d006f5e73691a7bc4d48ce94e89c.jpg

Memphis Elite

What is the opinion on grilla grills I've been looking at their grilla hard due to extreme limited space in my backyard.

Beef ribs on the Pitboss Copperhead 5 with Hickory pellets

Just on with SPG rub

bf9f8d3e090ea753740990773913a912.jpeg

Just off. Hit them with some compound butter while resting.

7fe82b08edf6e9eae9890081fe7e2d5a.jpeg

Served with some tots seasoned with Naturiffic Q-Salt.

d5ba0f9af13965b357796673a67386d9.jpeg

Buying pellets is confusing at times, seems some groups make the pellets in different places with different results and formulas. Traeger, Pit Boss(and all affiliates), I know for sure do this. Who else does? Who does not?

Does anybody know the blend that Pit Boss uses in their Hickory since they seem to be the best balance of price and volume?

Buying pellets is confusing at times, seems some groups make the pellets in different places with different results and formulas. Traeger, Pit Boss(and all affiliates), I know for sure do this. Who else does? Who does not?

Does anybody know the blend that Pit Boss uses in their Hickory since they seem to be the best balance of price and volume?

I haven't been able to find the blend that Pit Boss uses. They just say it is a proprietary blend. It's easy to simplify things. Just don't buy from any company that doesn't list their ingredients.

I have a couple of questions for you Mak 1 Star General Owners

1. Would you advise going with the 3/4 or full rack on top? Does the full size second shelf still allow easy access to your food underneath or is it a pain?

2. Anyone use the wifi module?

Last edited:
Back