Turkey Help

BBQfirefighter148

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi all looking for a little help on prepping a turkey for thanksgiving. I will be cooking on my rotisserie. First time ever doing it. Usually it gets fried. Want kind of rubs, compound butter, or oil would you recommend. Thanks!

I inject with a stick of butter and chicken broth combo.
Plowboys Yard Bird or Weber Kickin Chicken rub.
Apple and cherry wood added to coals.

A lot of people inject I know Toast uses a Cajun inject and seasoning and really likes it If you inject let it sit overnight in the Fridge to stabilize Some people like to Brine too There are lots of Turkey Threads right now Check them out and if you see one you like go for it Even PM someone if needed

I always inject turkeys because they’re so mild-flavoured.

My two go-to injections and rubs are detailed in an old smoking book called Smoke & Spice. It was my first smoking book 25+ years ago but I still like it best. One of the injection-rub combo’s is garlic-based, and one is jalapeño. They’re both great, and often I’ll smoke two breasts instead of one whole turkey so I can do both recipes and offer folks a choice (plus the breasts finish more quickly).

My only other injection-rub combo is a spicy one I developed from a recipe Martha Stewart created years ago for Bryant Gumbel of the Today show. You might be able to pull it up on-line.

One other S&S recipe that has become a staple at our Thanksgivings is a jalapeach sauce. It’s rare to find something both sweet and spicy, and folks seem to really love it in place of gravy over the turkey. And it’s very easy to make.

Back