Anyone ordering the new BBQ Guru's?

Did I miss what the difference between the dynaq and ultraq was? Looks to me that they were about the same.

Did I miss what the difference between the dynaq and ultraq was? Looks to me that they were about the same.

Ultra has 3 meat probes and 1 pit probe and all can be monitored at one time with a setting with out switching between meat and pit. Also has some more data options. I emailed them and said that the web page in confusing at best. They need to make it easier to order and what comes with each base package. I think you have to order more meat probes but not sure. Also nothing about being waterproof or not or if the old probes work.

I may need to look into this. My Maverick died several years ago and I upgraded to a controller type (Flame Boss) that was complete garbage.

So I'm nervous now.

Looks like a bright garish fireboard.

If I did not have a fireboard I would consider one. You have to get grive cable and fan to do the same with a fireboard.

I don't think the price is that off putting. I feel like the Cyber Q was similar in price, but it's been a while since I bought mine.

I don't think the price is that off putting. I feel like the Cyber Q was similar in price, but it's been a while since I bought mine.

I bought a Cyber Q Cloud about 2 months ago, and the whole thing was about $300. So the new ones are pretty much in the same pricing ball park.

It looks nice and has some features that would make it easier to not get out of my chair. I'm not sure I need more of those reasons.

I ordered one about a week ago. Has anyone else? I'm curious if anyone has heard how long until they are shipping.

I ordered one today:

* Ultra Q w/ 8ft probes (only comes with 1+1)
* 2 extra meat probes (8ft)
* Pit Viper 10cfm fan
* magnetic arm mount

Observations:

* this *@# aint cheap -- after 5% off that was 360 shipped
* coming from a HeaterMeter (open source controller) that's been falling apart on me, this looks like a nice convenience -- at the cost of all my probes and a whole new setup

I just upgraded from a WSM22 to a competition insulated cabinet so it's a whole new beast, but I gotta say the large display and easy lights will be nice for not having to get close to the pit to see.

They claim they'll start shipping May 15, but they also had a message 4-6 weeks. I'm guessing the 4-6 weeks was there prior to the May 15 date.

I ordered a UltraQ back at the beginning of April. I bugged them in mid April and they said it was going to be a while due to the current conditions.

I just got a note before the weekend that they will ship this week (as you noted, 5/15). I certainly got all of the 6 weeks wait. Maybe that was for them to establish their manufacturing and from now on the wait will be much less. Kinda would have preferred they didn't charge me until they could ship, but hey, also in these conditions it is what it is.

As previously stated the new DynaQ supports a Pit probe and 1-food probe, whereas the UltraQ supports a total of 4 probes, one labeled for Pit, and the other three labeled food1, food2, food3.

The other main difference between the new DynaQ and UltraQ, is the DynaQ allows for Bluetooth access for remote management, whereas the UltraQ has Bluetooth support, but like the CyberQ cloud, it also has Wifi control and access to "sharemycook.com" site for remotely monitoring and managing your Pit Temperature as well as storing your previous cooks and recipes for your private review as well as making public to all ShareMyCook users. With the CyberQ cloud and UltraQ, there is no additional cost or reoccurring costs for utilizing the ShareMyCook site for storing details from old cooks along with recipes and notes for future review.

It appears the BBQguru site offers a couple ways to purchase these new controllers: one called "universal kit" which is the cheapest option for users that are upgrading to their new controller and don't need another fan, fan adapter accessories for their smoker, or new temp probe cables.
The universal kit for both units include the base unit, mounting stand and power adapter (all other accessories needed would need to be purchased separately).

The other option for the DynaQ and UltraQ is called "Temperature control Customer Grill", this option includes a drop-down menu to identify your smoker. Once this is done this "kit" will include the same items in the universal kit, but also include Pit Fan, fan adapter, fan power cable, and (2-probes) Once for pit and one for food.
It appears the UltraQ and DynaQ both only include 2-probes, meaning to use all the ports on the UltraQ, it appears you will have to purchase the 2 additional probes unless you already have probes from older BBQ guru temp control unit.

They did also come out with newer probes that are dishwasher safe, although previous probes compatible with older models like the CyberQ, CyberQ cloud, PartyQ, and all DigiQ models, will also work in the new DynaQ and UltraQ.

I currently have the CyberQ cloud, and looking at updating to the UltraQ and gift my older CyberQ to a buddy that just got his first WSM recently.
My main and only complaint with the CyberQ cloud is inconsistent wifi connectivity dropping off of their "sharemycook" website when monitoring a long cook, requiring a power cycle to resolve every so often.
So I am waiting to hear from others if the wifi connectivity is a bit more robust on the new UltraQ model.

Last edited:
These type devices are the last step before finally going with a pellet grill, with or without, a smoke tube for overnight cooks.

Ask me how I know.

After you get tired of blowing ashes all over everything and waking up to alarms, some of you will see this as well.

It's almost better to skip this expense and go ahead and put it towards a good pellet grill.

They reached out to me on Tuesday letting me know that theyre prepping to ship Friday, and that the premium probes I ordered are on backorder. Theyre going to ship me standard probes for now then follow-up with the premiums when they get in stock.

Not bad! Offsets some of that steep steep cost of this newest model. I still am gonna refurbish / repair my HeaterMeter for a just-in-case backup.

I received mine yesterday. Nice packaging, well made and quality build.

Today I ran a rack of baby backs to get the hang of it. Out of the gate, it was awesome - it dialed my Weber Summit at around 225 without any attention. That was nice in my workday.

Not a perfect start, however. I got distracted and found the pit started reading at half temperature or a range of error from what it should be. I checked the dome, close to normal. Threw in another temp system, also near what I would expect. I used both the pit and food temp sensor included, and both were erratic as all get out. No reading, half temp, correct for a bit.

Starting to worry about being in a early dud situation, but I think I fixed that. Maybe ambient temp related, but I need to make sure.

I switched to an overnight butt cook to continue to exercise it. Nice to use the relatively inexpensive meats to kick the tires.

The one thing I've found is a challenge for me, is the ring and the screen in direct sunlight. Pretty much impossible to read or interpret colors. I started hiding the UltraQ under nooks so I could actually read it.

Now at night the color scheme is really easy to interpret and the screen is easy to read. So I guess this is the use case they aimed for. I plan to use this for mostly overnight cooks, so I think they hit the intended use case.

All and all happy after 24 hours. Looking to see how this butt goes in the next 12 hours.

Back